Program to make image of windows program CD?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering how could one make an "image" backup of a Windows-based program?

The backup file will be stored on the Mac, and burned on the Mac [disk copy/toast]. .....

Would it retain the exact same copy if I made a DMG of it?

or would that not work properly on windows disks?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Disk Copy should work, but Toast will work.

At least in my experience, Toast has been able to do exactly what you are describing without issues.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dmg's usually make an image with a hfs or hfs+ format. those are the common disk formats for macs. windows has a few disk formats of its own: ntfs, fat32, others?. i don't think there'd be any data loss in putting the files onto a hfs(+) disk. but, i don't think windows natively will mount a hfs or hfs+ disk. Toast can make an iso disc. That can be mounted on windows and macs (and other systems). Toast also has an option for a "hybrid" disc, with both windows native formats and mac formats. And finally, even if dmgs do hold a windows disk format, the dmg files themselves aren't useable on any system except macos. So, assuming u get the disk format right, you'd have to burn it to use it on a windows computer.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'll go the ISO route.

If the program CD is 100% for windows, would it make a difference if I "image" it as a mac/windows hybrid CD?

• Reply 4 of 4
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Do a search for Firestarter on version tracker.