how many itunes downloads thusfar???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anybody seen a reliable number as to how many times itunes for windows has been downloaded and even more importantly, how many songs have been purchased from the windows group? I was hoping Apple would continue to keep us updated so as not to diminish the excitement behind the release....Hopefully the numbers are fantastic. Any idea of upcoming events that could be used to release any info?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
  • Reply 2 of 27
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I like the iTunes ad on the napster d/l page
  • Reply 3 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'd like to see some official numbers. I'm worried they aren't doing as well as they thought and won't be until the pepsi deal starts. Then again hopefully I'm horribly wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Heh... Napster IS quite a bit newer, but look at the reviews too:

iTunes 5/5, Napster 3/5.

iTunes 83% positive user reviews, Napster 36% positive user reviews

Like MP3 players, there will be imitators to Apple's success but they'll never really be able to compete. You can buy a cheaper MP3 player than the iPod that holds just as much, but in the back of your mind you'll be thinking of how much nicer it would have been to get the iPod. Same with music services. It's just kind of funny how Apple has nailed personal digital music so perfectly and all the competition is struggling to even come out with competitive products and services. Way to go Apple! Now if they could only apply that to low-end computers, we'd be set.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    there was an article a few days ago saying that 875 000 songs downloaded from all services for the week ending oct.26. i'd link to the article but you all know how to use google, right?

there was no breakdown of what service the songs were dl from.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Well, well, well. PR from Apple: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031106/sfth077_1.html

Napster's first week=300,000

iTMS in that same period=1.5 million

...and the winner is.....
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Nielsen is rating Apple's share of the downloaded music market at "over 80%". Combined Apple and Napster had 1.8 million downloads. Apple had 83.3333% of that number. If Apple did have "over 80%" of the number of downloads, how many did buymusic.com have? Sounds like a word problem, but the answer is: NOT MANY.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I just got done listening to the analysts' meeting, and Steve really goes off on this subject in the final Q&A. He can't understand why these companies are investing in services that don't (and can't) make them any money.

His point, of course, is that iTMS' success is reflected in iPod sales, not in its own bottom line. So you can't just compete with one or the other, you have to compete with iTMS + iTunes + iPod. And that's not all that easy to do.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Nielsen is rating Apple's share of the downloaded music market at "over 80%". Combined Apple and Napster had 1.8 million downloads. Apple had 83.3333% of that number. If Apple did have "over 80%" of the number of downloads, how many did buymusic.com have? Sounds like a word problem, but the answer is: NOT MANY.

Well, if we use the available numbers... 1.5M is 80%, so 100% is 1.875M. Subtract Apple and subtract Napster and what you have is a very grim picture for MusicMatch, BuyMusic and the others. They'd have 75K (4%) to split between them

Also Napster obviously hasn't done well enough for Apple to be too worried, otherwise this press release wouldn't even exist. If Napster had pushed 1M songs instead of 300K, you can be sure Apple wouldn't have brought any of this to light.

Also interesting to note that in the download.com links I pasted above, when Napster was introduced it had begun to close on iTunes as far as how many times each was downloaded from the site. iTunes has since reopened up a bigger gap than before, so it's not just the headstart that is working for Apple here.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Don't forget the fact that BuyMusic is said to have spent $40 million on national advertising. Yowch. As AtAT pointed out, it would take them ten years to recoupe that... if song sales were 100% profit.

So who are the players now? There so many declarations.

Apple

Napster (it's no longer free nor illegal, I dub it !Napster)

BuyMusic

MusicMatch

Wal-Mart

Dell (by way of MusicMatch)

Sony (I think)

Screed
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Download.com download counts:

iTunes (Windows): 189157

Napster: 58987

Napster downloads have all but stalled.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Download.com download counts:

iTunes (Windows): 201260 (+12103)

Napster: 62427 (+3440)
  • Reply 13 of 27
    See the competition between iTunes and Napster ...

• Reply 14 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Napster downloads have all but stalled.

To me, Napster isn't the real competition as much as the WMA format and its DRM. So that includes BuyMusic.com (remember them?) and other competitors as much as Napster. (The name) Napster bought Roxio about 2 weeks of hype. Some people never knew what Napster was, others knew and found out (any surprises though?) that this new service is little at all like the original. How does Roxio pick up momentum again? Is Napster a one trick pony? And how do they convert the service into real profits for themselves? The situation appears a lot like the dot-com 90's where people didn't seem to care about a business plan before hyping a company.

Given what Apple's said about the lack of real profitability in its own music store, I'm curious how many if any of the services will survive on their own. Apple has its iPod, and the iTMS is really a trojan horse for that profit center. What do others have to buoy their costs? In the end, the only thing most of these competing services have in common is the MS format. It will probably boil down to AAC/Fairplay vs. WMA. Given how many of these services are coming out, there's bound to be a ton of consolidation later, but these two formats and DRMs seem headed for a showdown after that.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

To me, Napster isn't the real competition as much as the WMA format and its DRM. So that includes BuyMusic.com (remember them?) and other competitors as much as Napster. (The name) Napster bought Roxio about 2 weeks of hype. Some people never knew what Napster was, others knew and found out (any surprises though?) that this new service is little at all like the original. How does Roxio pick up momentum again? Is Napster a one trick pony? And how do they convert the service into real profits for themselves? The situation appears a lot like the dot-com 90's where people didn't seem to care about a business plan before hyping a company.

Given what Apple's said about the lack of real profitability in its own music store, I'm curious how many if any of the services will survive on their own. Apple has its iPod, and the iTMS is really a trojan horse for that profit center. What do others have to buoy their costs? In the end, the only thing most of these competing services have in common is the MS format. It will probably boil down to AAC/Fairplay vs. WMA. Given how many of these services are coming out, there's bound to be a ton of consolidation later, but these two formats and DRMs seem headed for a showdown after that.

I'm just waiting for Dell/MusicMatch and MS's service, they've announced one in Europe. Note that both MusicMatch and MS have other profit makers.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

To me, Napster isn't the real competition as much as the WMA format and its DRM. So that includes BuyMusic.com (remember them?) and other competitors as much as Napster...

WMA can't take a foothold without having at least one strong competitor to the iTMS. Napster is the most successful also-ran right now...much more popular and usable than MusicMatch or BuyMusic.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    iTunes will always have a "leg up" so to speak in that the iTMS was the first, and now one of the best known online music stores. The Digital rights management can't be beat, the price is incredible. Someone is going to have to do something drastic to even hurt the iTMS. Napster didn't, Dell wont, MS wont. Very simply put, iTMS is the best, always has been, and Apple isn't one to sit on their hands, it will get better and better.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

I'm just waiting for Dell/MusicMatch and MS's service, they've announced one in Europe. Note that both MusicMatch and MS have other profit makers.

What profit maker would MusicMatch have? And how does MS' offering stand to gain them more profit with anything they've already got?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

What profit maker would MusicMatch have? And how does MS' offering stand to gain them more profit with anything they've already got?

MusicMatch has MusicMatch Pro.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    On download.com the 'Napster 2.0' version is reported with 5.200.463 downloads. The prefious number on 11-16-2003 was 68.083?

Has Napster found a way to out-number the iTunes downloads ;-)