Xbox to Switch to PowerPC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
WIRED ARTICLE

Mac Gaming just got better. Speculate if you will, but Direct X must be ported to PowerPC!

This is huge shot at the x86 community as well. Here is my speculation. THe PowerPC is going to be kicking some big time x86 ass in processor speeds real quickly. Microsoft knows it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    There's a thread in General Discussion already.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

WIRED ARTICLE

Mac Gaming just got better. Speculate if you will, but Direct X must be ported to PowerPC!

This is huge shot at the x86 community as well. Here is my speculation. THe PowerPC is going to be kicking some big time x86 ass in processor speeds real quickly. Microsoft knows it.

The man who make the IBM cluster never used a mac before : it's the switch of the year.

He said also that the itanium 2 cannot compete : amazing.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

He said also that the itanium 2 cannot compete : amazing.

The thing gets actually quite interesting. BigMac just crossed the 10 TFlops barrier to terminate, for the time being, at 10.28 TFlops. Definitive results are expected later in November.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    The Gamecube already has a PowerPC, and it's a fairly nice system. The limitations it has have nothing to do with the processor, and it seems to have garnered some respect amongst the gamers I know who have tried it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Don't count on it. DirectX is virtually all C/C++ anyhow, so the "port" is not a big deal. A bigger issue is that it sits atop the NT kernel, not Darwin.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    This is not directly related to future Apple hardware or "Mac gaming".

Nintendo uses IBM chips. Are Nintendo games playable on your Mac?

See the thread in General Discussion.