What to buy for my mac first? heres list...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Heres the things i want to buy for my mac. Im still newbie to mac, but very far along now, cause it was easy to get into, and im long time computer user freak.

Heres what i want for my 17" PowerBook 1.33ghz G4. 512ram single stick. 80gig hd with 5400rpm upgrade.

1) 512stick to make ram 1gig (150 dollars)

2) Carry Case (Dont exacty need just yet, havent gone anywhere yet) (150 dollars)

3) 20gig iPod (400 dollars)

4) iSight (150 dollars)

5) Microsoft Bluetooth wireless mouse (i need the wheel and right click, otherwise id get apple's) (75 dollars)

6) Redo car audio system first (as in the sub's, replace single 12 with 2 12's, and get better amp, and put 4channel amp for all 4 speakers) (300 dollars)

So many choices, so little money. I make 200 dollars a paycheck, and that is every 2 weeks. I get paid tomorrow. So i dunno what to do. The options over 200 dollars id have to save another paycheck to do. Like iPod and car. I still will have extra cash coming in from selling things i have planned to sell, and internet jobs people owe me for still.

List you opinions on what i should get first, second, 3rd and so on.

PS. Im sure im forgetting something, if i do ill modify post.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    1. Get a case: it's as good as getting insurance for your laptop. If you drop it, it's protected. I wouldn't dare carry a computer around without a case given how much they cost.

2. Upgrade the ram. You need it with OSX. It makes everything more responsive. go to datamem.com. 512 mb for $90 with free s&h.

Forget the bluetooth mouse. Get an optical wireless for $25 from targus or logitech. Forget the isight for now.

the other stuff is up to you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Buy a case, and then start saving some money. You know, in case you ever want to go outside, to a mall, out for a drink, etc. Don't spend all your money on your computer. Live a little.

• Reply 3 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Buy a case, and then start saving some money. You know, in case you ever want to go outside, to a mall, out for a drink, etc. Don't spend all your money on your computer. Live a little.

Very good point. Computers are awesome, they make life a lot easier and all, but they aren't life. You have a list of 6 things there, if you make about $200 every two weeks your talkin 12 weeks (3 months!) where you won't have a life at all. Don't do that to yourself. Save a little money, don't let your computer eat it all up.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    In order - RAM first, Mouse, Carry Case, then iPod, but dont forget that your laptop is also portable (but not as postable as the iPod)and it too can play mp3s, finaly iSight if u got anybody to communicate with.

Regarding your car stereo I upgraded from a single 12" to 2 and although 2 x 12" subs are real freakin loud, they hurt my ears after a while, I ended up turning down the volume on both so I think I could happylily survive with 1 (dont ask me to send u the other ). So unless u are a big show off I think a single 12inch sub would sound just right. Perhaps you should first have the 4 speakers working then decide if they are overpowering the bass and you need more bass. Oh, and with some tinkering you could hook up your laptop to your car stereo, if u dont know how to do this yourself ask the guy at the car audio shop before you upgrade for a complete in car enterteinment centre!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

6) Redo car audio system first (as in the sub's, replace single 12 with 2 12's, and get better amp, and put 4channel amp for all 4 speakers) (300 dollars)

My suggestion is to stay with one 12" sub. On this budget, a single driver will most certainly sound better than two. With one, you'll have tighter and more detailed response at normal listening levels and less distortion at extremely loud volumes. With more power instead of more cone (on the same budget), your amp is actually less likely to clip and blow a sub's voice coil. The amp is also less likely to overheat. In your price range, I would recommend spending those dollars on more power rather than an additional woofer. A single ten incher might even be a better choice. You'll have enough money left over to drive it to it's full potential. The best stealth install I ever heard involved a 10"JL driven at around 850watts continuous. Ooo, it was enough to give you a respiratory condition. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Well the "upgrade" in car audio would consist of...

Using 2 12 inch subs i have, i have 1 extra

New amp to support both subs

Amp to power the 4 speakers from the preamp out on deck. and to take out the bass from them

New box for subs.

Then next year, change the deck to new deck that has input so i could hook iPod up to it later on, LoL. I have mp3/wma cd player now. I have excellent cd deck.