Is going from 640 MB to 1 GB of RAM worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've thought of upgrading the RAM in my eMac from 640 MB to 1 GB. But with RAM prices being pretty high, I'm thinking of just waiting until they come down a bit and then I can get more. Even so, I'm wondering... has anyone seen any kind of performance gain from going from 640 MB or thereabouts to 1 GB? 128 MB to 640 MB was HUGE and the best upgrade I could have possibly done for my eMac, but I'm thinking that replacing the original 128 MB would be somewhat overkill and not worth the expense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I've thought of upgrading the RAM in my eMac from 640 MB to 1 GB. But with RAM prices being pretty high, I'm thinking of just waiting until they come down a bit and then I can get more. Even so, I'm wondering... has anyone seen any kind of performance gain from going from 640 MB or thereabouts to 1 GB? 128 MB to 640 MB was HUGE and the best upgrade I could have possibly done for my eMac, but I'm thinking that replacing the original 128 MB would be somewhat overkill and not worth the expense.

don't bother. unless you are working with images or other files that are each a couple hundred megs, there won't be a performance increase. i suppose if you are switching between twenty or so programs you might want the extra ram, but i doubt that is an issue.

if you go into terminal and type "top" you can check out your current memory usage. i'm a pretty hefty user (occasional photoshop, many programs open at once), and i rarely have less than 200mb of my 640mb free. at work, on the other hand, where i regularly deal with multiple 200mb images, we need a gig or more ram. however, at home I don't and I doubt you do either.

i'd use the money you save to buy a cool new game.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Your system will probably go "Cheers dude" but your unlikely to see the gain unless your doing a lot of photoshopping, videoing , transferring and all that good stuff. From what i understand OSX frees up memory on the fly so your 640mb will be fine for general tasks.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

if you go into terminal and type "top" you can check out your current memory usage. i'm a pretty hefty user (occasional photoshop, many programs open at once), and i rarely have less than 200mb of my 640mb free.

i'd use the money you save to buy a cool new game.

Is there any way to find out how much memory I'm using on a program that takes up the whole screen and won't let me see terminal till I close it? I figure that outside of video-editing, games will take the most memory in my upcoming G4 iBook.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Okay, thanks guys. I'll use my money for something else (like college tuition ).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Is there any way to find out how much memory I'm using on a program that takes up the whole screen and won't let me see terminal till I close it? I figure that outside of video-editing, games will take the most memory in my upcoming G4 iBook.

Theres menu meters available from versiontracker

It sits in your finder bar and can display all sorts as well as your memory usage. if you dont like the terminal theres also activity monitor in your utils folder.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Hmm. While playing the game you could SSH in from another Mac and run top on the remote terminal.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Hmm. While playing the game you could SSH in from another Mac and run top on the remote terminal.

If you quit your programs before starting your game, memory shouldn't be an issue...this, however, would be the solution to your question
  • Reply 8 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    or more to the point, just run top and see what your pagein-pageout numbers are like.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    are you running VPC?