Cocoa based word processor?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Do you guys know of any reasonable priced Cocoa based WP or Office suit. The reason I ask is that I can only write my native language in Cocoa based programs. TextEdit is a bit too primitive for what I like to do. Any recommendations thankfully received.

cheers

kelib

PS. Hope Apple gets iWorks or whatever it will be called out soon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Do you guys know of any reasonable priced Cocoa based WP or Office suit. The reason I ask is that I can only write my native language in Cocoa based programs. TextEdit is a bit too primitive for what I like to do. Any recommendations thankfully received.

cheers

kelib

PS. Hope Apple gets iWorks or whatever it will be called out soon

Kelib,

You might want to try Nisus Writer Express....not making any promises, but I think it might do the job.

http://www.nisus.com

Ps at the moment they are looking for OS-X Beta testers for their programs..so here is your chance to get on board for free.

Aqua
  • Reply 2 of 24
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Thanks mate, just downloaded a trial version and it works (In icelandic) No other WP I have tried does
  • Reply 3 of 24
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    mellel.

http://www.redlers.com/

Cheaper than Nisus. And they actually update the program.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

mellel.

Mellel is a decent program, but I will not use it. During its trial, it watermarks all your pages. That's complete bullshit if you ask me. I'm testing the program out for pete's sake. If I can't print from it, what's the point? It made me want to get a serial for it from a place I know... but I just trashed it instead.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

mellel.

Cheaper than Nisus's free ( fully working ) demo without watermarks....this I've got to see....
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Nisus is beautiful, but not very functional.

Mellel is functional, but so God-awful ugly that you'll claw your eyes out looking at it. I like Metal, but what they do to metal with Mellel should be a crime.

Let's hope for an Apple-authored Mac OS X/Cocoa-savvy word processor. Until then, I'm back to Word.

Kirk
  • Reply 7 of 24
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't really mind the metal look of Mellel, but from the site it looks like the product has more palettes than an Adobe product!

I didn't think that was even possible...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Moving to Software.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Mellel is a decent program, but I will not use it. During its trial, it watermarks all your pages. That's complete bullshit if you ask me. I'm testing the program out for pete's sake. If I can't print from it, what's the point? It made me want to get a serial for it from a place I know... but I just trashed it instead.

Yeah it makes the app pretty useless in its trial version, doesn't it? That's the way you literally force people to shell out cash. It's not all that nice when you actually have to buy before you try (which you would probably be doing in this case). Nisus Writer actually gives you a good trial version before they close the door on you saying PAY PAY PAY

I'm still hanging on to AppleWorks over here.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I think Apple needs to do something with TextEdit. It seems soooo close. It seems to have the basic guts. But they have not yet turned it into a "real" word processor.

Maybe they are gradually working their way up to that. Now it opens/saves (basic) Word documents.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I love Mellel. The metal, eh, but I love the program. As far as watermarks go, I never even noticed because I knew the software was right for me in a couple of days and paid the $25. It prints beautifully, and headers and footers are like a thousand times more sensible than the MSWord nightmare.

And support... I send an email message with a question, and they answer in a few hours (when, you know, the sun rises over there), and they're very nice. I'm happy.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Yes, Mellel is functionally wonderful. If I could keep down my lunch while looking at it, I'd use it. Metal should never be used for productivity applications. It just doesn't work there.

They used to have an option, apparently, to turn their hideous butchered version of Metal on and off. Not any longer. I would so pay for that program if it were Aqua.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Yes, Mellel is functionally wonderful. If I could keep down my lunch while looking at it, I'd use it. Metal should never be used for productivity applications. It just doesn't work there.

They used to have an option, apparently, to turn their hideous butchered version of Metal on and off. Not any longer. I would so pay for that program if it were Aqua.

Does metallifizer work with Mellel?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

I don't know, but it doesn't really matter. No software should have an interface that is so bad that you have to install some other system-wide utility to "fix" it. I give Mellel a big fat thumbs-down for that.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

"........ No software should have an interface that is so bad that you have to install some other system-wide utility to "fix" it. ....."

Gee that sounds like most of Microsofts' programs...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

If it does, it wouldn't help much. In order to make their interface "pretty" they've added all sorts of non-standard, even for Metal, tweaks to the look. It's a truly unique abomination. And as bad as Metal work windows are, the Metal pallettes (and there are God so many pallettes) are even worse.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    To be honest, I've been using TextEdit to do most of my simple documents. It does what i need it too, has spell check, setting it on wrap to page gives me a nice page lay out view, decent text options,, etc. Things i use Word for is columns & tables. YMMV
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Sadly, TextEdit lacks footnoting and even header/footer support, so it's only of limited utility. However, were those features added, I'd be all about TextEdit.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Sadly, TextEdit lacks footnoting and even header/footer support, so it's only of limited utility. However, were those features added, I'd be all about TextEdit.

I don't see these features being hard to put in but would it be in Apple's best interest?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    There's an app called WorldText that is installed with the Developer tools (at least in Jag--- I'm not at home to check Panther)

The About Box sez:

"Use WorldText to create or edit text files with special fonts, typography effects, or embedded media. It also supports Unicode? so you can work easily with multilingual text."

The app itself might be a little basic for your needs, but perhaps worth checking out?