Could Apple make games?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was just thinking about this the other day...when my friend bought an Alienware instead of a G5. I had convincred him to get a Mac, and he really ended up wanting one- except for the lack of games for the Mac. I tried to convince him that all id titles come out for Mac soon after or at the same time as their PC counterparts, and that Blizzard (he loves Warcraft) always packages their games with both Mac and PC versions on each disc. But he could not be swayed, and he bought the Alienware. Now he's having problems with it. Go figure.

So I thought...why doesn't Apple make games designed and optimized for the Mac? Not just any games, but games that would make PC gamers want to get a Mac just to play the game. I can imagine Apple having a really creative team of game designers, turning out quality games.

PC users are jealous for our iApps and computers...so why not have some really nice games? I can imagine that it would be not extremely profitable, but over time, they would be sure to grow.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 7
    Pixar = creative team of [very good] filmmakers, owned by Apple.

Why not a game developer? Probably because apple doesn't want people to think of their platform as a toy. It's always been for creators, but I do think if they could add gaming to the whole widget (they would, of course, have to be good games), there'd be no stopping them.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Pixar = creative team of [very good] filmmakers, owned by Apple.

Uh, no.

Pixar has nothing to do with Apple except that these companies share the same CEO.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    can you name any PC manufacturer who makes games?

Dell? Gateway? IBM? Intel? .... none.

Even Microsoft doesn't actually make games directly,

they buy game developers and release 'external' games under the MS monopolumbrella

unless you want to count the world's most popular games for Windows...

Minesweeper and Solitaire.

one might make an argument that Sony makes both computers and games

(indirectly or directly via Playstation development, console or arcade subsidiaries)

but hairsplitters might point out that many Sony divisions aren't on speaking terms,

and in some WIRED interviews with PS2's "creator", right & left hand sometimes never met.

iPod actually holds a game by the guys who created Apple.

Breakout... developed for Atari by S.Jobs and S.Wozniak

(or built entirely by S.Wozniak, who Jobs stiffed, depending on which story you read)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well, since Microsoft bought out a couple of companies. i wouldn't mind apple getting even and buying up two or three as well, i looked in one of my brother's GMR game mags, and at the top 50 pc games rated, and almost half of them have mac versions, so maybe apple could do some in-house development w/ some companies

along time ago, i remeber it being said apple bought ou a graphics card company? wasn't it racer what's up w/ that?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    placebo said:
    I was just thinking about this the other day...when my friend bought an Alienware instead of a G5. I had convincred him to get a Mac, and he really ended up wanting one- except for the lack of games for the Mac. I tried to convince him that all id titles come out for Mac soon after or at the same time as their PC counterparts, and that Blizzard (he loves Warcraft) always packages their games with both Mac and PC versions on each disc. But he could not be swayed, and he bought the Alienware. Now he's having problems with it. Go figure.

So I thought...why doesn't Apple make games designed and optimized for the Mac? Not just any games, but games that would make PC gamers

want to get a Mac just to play the game. I can imagine Apple having a really creative team of game designers, turning out quality games.

PC users are jealous for our iApps and computers...so why not have some really nice games? I can imagine that it would be not extremely profitable, but over time, they would be sure to grow.

Thoughts?
    How do I share apps between iPhone and MacBook ??? and How do I sync my iPhone apps to my MacBook air?