The draft may be coming back to the US

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The news channels ought to pick up the story soon.

Long shot, or 'Nam II ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I posted on this yesterday in another thread, although nobody took me up on the issue. To provide a bit more background, what I said was that I had heard that the U.S. had recently put out a web-ad to engage volunteers to serve on Draft Boards. I had heard an interview with on Canadian public radio in which an Administration commentator emphasized that the Boards - discontinued in the early 70s - actually started again in 1980 (under Carter, I believe) and have continued to be staffed even in the absence of an actual Draft. He said that the current engagement of volunteers is just normal re-staffing on the Boards and there are no immediate plans to reinstate the Draft itself.

As I said there, I think that the draft is a possibilty: If the occupation of Iraq continues to require vast amounts of soldiers and continues to be bloody, there could be pressure on the U.S. military. Already sign-up for U.S. Reserve forces is down. And if there would be a campaign in Syria, Iran, or perhaps even N. Korea, the Draft might be necessary very quickly.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I should say "American" news ought to pick it up soon. We're a little faster over here, I heard about yesterday afternoon aswell. Didn't read it here though.

This is, one hundred percent, a second term manouver, if it happens. Americans will not elect a president who sends their middle class boys into harm's way. Volunteer forces are a good way to make sure only the very poor need take such risks.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    uuhh its the middle class boys who sign up in the first place...

at least all 22 of my friends who are in the service are...

heh I don't know what you're smoking.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Score one for the fringe political sites because I read about this two weeks ago.

Even the suggestion of reinstating the draft could be politically damaging to the administration.

Six words: Poor planning, failed policy, single term.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 54
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No way. Absolutely no way. This is so hit-you-on-the-head obvious from a political standpoint for the Bush administration, I'm surprised some people are even thinking for a second that they may do it. If anything, we're going to get out of Iraq way before we should.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Uh... you're from Texas. Duh. How many "middle class boys" from California or New England are signing up?

Tonton go stuff yourself.

Fellowship
  • Reply 7 of 54
    I saw that ad but i can't believe he would do it.

If you notice bremer was on CNN a few days ago and he brought up what i think is a magic number.

200,000 iraqi police troops trained by sept.

This is there out. Come next summer its "we got a constitution, they people are happy, they have an army to protect themselves, we are outa here"

come back to bush on yet another aircraft carrier like stunt. proclaiming "mission accomplished"

this time not blaming the sailors for making the sign.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Fellowship

Love, Peace, Grace

\

Hey, you should add 'Honesty' to your sig
  • Reply 9 of 54
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Fellowship

Was that love, peace or grace?

And don't post an "I was only joking" ploy.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    i guess its time to reapply to college. (are college-boys still exempt?)
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Acutally i read a blurb on some web log that bascially said. If there is one and you do not want be drafted...wait for them to "ask" then "tell"

interesting that keeping gays out of the militarty could hurt our country in a whole new way if there is a draft...
  • Reply 12 of 54
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Here's a LINK
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Uh... you're from Texas. Duh. How many "middle class boys" from California or New England are signing up?

actually most people I know of that have signed up and are serving are MIDDLE CLASS and I am from new england(better than original england)
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

actually most people I know of that have signed up and are serving are MIDDLE CLASS and I am from new england(better than original england)

Apart from the greater poverty, obesity and homicide, New England is quite nice. But not better.

(Note to self, do not feed the illiterate trolls)
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Apart from the greater poverty, obesity and homicide, New England is quite nice. But not better.

(Note to self, do not feed the illiterate trolls)

another note to yourself, Identify a joke!(and we are better! atleast we have nice teeth!)
  • Reply 16 of 54
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Another AO thread on its way down the crapper.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

It was probably frustration and overreaction. Proves he's human.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The draft may be coming back to the US

Freedom isn't free
  • Reply 19 of 54
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

I was not joking.

I have no problem with tonton, in fact I believe he is a very intelligent person here on the boards. I just get a little fatigued when tonton constantly makes comments that run down the US, Texas or what have you. I completely respect his opinions and it does not bother me that he has his opinions. It is the frequency in which tonton says the same thing over and over that can fatigue a person. I am guilty of running places down myself I admit it plainly. I believe for example I told Rok that I felt sorry for him that he lived in Louisiana and in retrospect that was a bad thing to say. I said it none the less. I believe if I constantly communicated negative gestures about any place be it the USA, Europe, Asia, Africa, Texas, Louisiana, what have you over and over I think some people would get fatigued with it after a period of time.

Again we all have opinions and I think that is great.

I just think we all could use a little restraint with communicating negative gestures about certain places myself included.

Peace

Fellows
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

It was probably frustration and overreaction. Proves he's human.

I agree. God knows I've flown off before.

Fellows I know you have a brain and I like you.

Now leave tonton alone, he's got an excellent point (edit, and he's a patriot).

Or rather, he had an excellent point before I helped derail the thread, being that if one thinks that the ranks of GIs aren't stuffed with po' broke people one is a twat.