Help with small network.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I convinced my boss that she wanted to buy two macs for her little firm, forgetting that it would probably be me that was to help her out when she had problems with it. Here is the first one I can´t find a solution to:

She wants to share one of her folders on the iMac so the iBook on the same network can see it and she wants it to show immediatly the two computers are turned on (they are always connected to the network). Right now she has to Apple-K to connect to the folder. There must be a way for them to see eachother instantly?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I convinced my boss that she wanted to buy two macs for her little firm, forgetting that it would probably be me that was to help her out when she had problems with it. Here is the first one I can´t find a solution to:

She wants to share one of her folders on the iMac so the iBook on the same network can see it and she wants it to show immediatly the two computers are turned on (they are always connected to the network). Right now she has to Apple-K to connect to the folder. There must be a way for them to see eachother instantly?

Hmm... perhaps by simply placing an alias of the shared iMac folder on the iBook's desktop? I think the connection would be established as soon as your boss double-clicks said alias. Not sure though, I don't have two Macs, so I can't check that...

Another possibility might be a startup script (AppleScript or Perl or bash or whatever) calling the mount_afp command to mount the shared folder at startup.

Greetings!

durandal