G3 iBook - worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The prices on G3's are pretty good right now. Would you recommend buying one, or should I start returning soda cans and get the G4? I'm going to use it for my home machine, internet, iLife, and some light design projects...

Has anyone tried running Panther on a G3?

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    How good of a deal would you be getting on a G3 iBook? The G4s are significantly faster and more future-proof, so I would just get one of those instead. If you must get a G3, find one that is significantly less expensive than the G4s, because you're guaranteed to be kicking yourself a year from now if you decided to save $200 or so to buy the G3 instead. You won't remember those $200 or $300, but you'll be reminded of the G3 every day.

The G3 iBooks aren't really that slow, in fact the newer ones are quite fast. They run Panther really well. But they're still pretty bad compared to the G4s. My 800 MHz G3 gave me plenty of slowdowns and delays if I had three or four applications open - even non-demanding ones, like Safari, iChat, Mail and iTunes. All of those open at the same time made the machine slow down quite a bit and take about a second to switch between apps - and that was with the maximum RAM.

So yes, definitely get the G4.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion.

Moving now...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    G4 all the way. Don't waste your money on the G3, the G3 is dead now. Not even worth it. G4 hands down.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

G4 all the way. Don't waste your money on the G3, the G3 is dead now. Not even worth it. G4 hands down.

You don't even know what the price difference is. Hey, you know, I just bought a 800mhz G3 iBook, too. Going by your assessment, regardless of how much I paid for it, it was too much. I paid $300 for it. For that price, I don't think I can argue. The G3 is a plenty powerful chip as long as you're doing basic stuff and have enough RAM. The latest gen G3 iBooks are very capable machines. Don't discount them yet.

BTW, Panther runs very well on my fiancee's iBook. Load up the RAM and you'll be happy.