VA Tech to sell G5 cluster kits!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From Macrumors :

Quote:

As mentioned in a previous report, Virginia Tech will begin offering Supercomputer Kits beginning early next year.

These kits will provide plans for institutions to create their own PowerMac G5 clusters with off-the-shelf components. The Virginia Tech PowerMac G5 cluster currently ranks #3 in the world based on preliminary results. Final rankings are due in mid November.

Techweb.com reports that, amongst others, the National Security Agency and the Argonne weapons laboratory have expressed interest in the plans. Previous comments from Dr. Srinidhi Varadarajan noted that we could "expect to see a lot more G5 clusters."

I want one! If more businesses are interested, Apple could make a killer of a profit.

Come on, G5 Xserve.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Where are you gonna get the money for more than one G5? I would be happy if I had the money for ONE G5 2.0, let alone multiple ones. That would be sweet though. Life would be good if I had my own supercomputer.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My group is submitting a budget for a "massively parallel computer". It wont be a G5 cluster but it does happen.