Visual Problems with Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can anyone help me with a fix for this GUI bug?

This is where the icon is set in Cocoa Apps (1px too low)

This is where the icon is set in Carbon Apps (1px too high)

I need to know a fix for this. It's really bugging me. Things like this bug me. The icon needs to be in the center. It's perfect in Jaguar by the way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Perhaps the apple developer in charge of this noticed that the cocoa graphic was one pixel too low. Said developer quickly changed the constant governing this and went on his merry way, thinking the probelm solved. Turns out, the developer raised the graphic one pixel, but on the carbon side of things. Thus, one was too high and one was too low.

Just one possibility... but when you work as a developer, it is easy to see how these snafus fall through the cracks.

This 'bug' was reported to apple at least a few weeks ago so it's likely to be fixed in one of the 10.3.x upgrades.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I hope so... What is wrong with them. How can someone NOT notice this?

But, then again... at least it's not WindowsXP or something, cuz then I'd kill myself within a day.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Speaking of details, has anyone noticed how synchronization is spelled syncronization (no h) during the startup process?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Actually, it almost looks like the icon itself is one pixel too large, and that their choices are either to align it (more or less) with the top of the accompanying text, or the baseline. IOW, the only way to "center it" is to shrink it, then nudge it.

Either way, you'd think Apple would've taken care of this sort of thing before release. There are some other visual issues with the OS too; you can find them on the MacNN Bugs Thread. Some guy (not the fellow who posted here a number of times) posted screenshots of misplaced buttons and the like.

I am starting to believe Apple is sacrificing QA time in the name of speedier releases. Hopefully it doesn't apply to pro hardware too.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spaztik

But, then again... at least it's not WindowsXP or something, cuz then I'd kill myself within a day.

I got a big kick out of this, thanks for the good laugh.