AOL and POP mail - play nice w/ email clients?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
are there only specific versions of AOL that are capable of doing POP mail?

can you use Entourage or Outlook or the like in conjunction with an AOL service?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    no sabe?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    do you mean receive AOL mails thru third-paty email clients?

I don't think so.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Not sure if I understand your question.

0. (Obligatory AOL bashing) Ugh, AOL. Why would you want to do that?

1. Can you sign on to AOL and use Mail/Entourage/Eudora, etc to check a POP account? Sure.

2. Can you use an independent mail reader to check the mail in AOL account? I don't believe so, for the same reason you can't use Safari to visit AOL Keyword pages. AOL's content is proprietary.

(On preview, what Kenneth said.)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    clients of mine still have AOL and won't get rid of it no matter what.

if i give people email addresses at my website or websites of their own they need to get the mail via POP mail.

for instance, if i give them a mail box:

complimentary_email @ mywebsite.com

or

email_address @ theirnew_website.com

either wat they need to download the emails from the server.

how do you do that with AOL?

or

can you use Entourage,Outlook, etc. on the same machine with AOL - without changing TCP/IP settings back and forth to do so?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Sure. You'd just need to get your clients to set up their e-mail account preferences in Outlook, etc., using the server settings you provide for them. They'd sign on to AOL to get access to the internet, and then use that other e-mail app to check their non-AOL mail.

As an alternative, couldn't you set it up on your end so that e-mail sent to your clients at the new account you set up for them would get forwarded to their AOL account?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I think the AOL communicator app should be able to get their AOL mail, and also access external mail (I've used it with IMAP before, not sure if it works with POP as my parents no longer use AOL).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MCQ,

can you briefly describe youre "IMAP" setup process?

mlnjr

Quote:

Sure. You'd just need to get your clients to set up their e-mail account preferences in Outlook, etc., using the server settings you provide for them. They'd sign on to AOL to get access to the internet, and then use that other e-mail app to check their non-AOL mail.

i briefed them through an OUTLOOK setup and it kept coming back as an error accessing the account.

so i was figuring AOL's TCP/IP settings were somehow funking it up.

i could set it up to forward to their AOL address but then they would be replying with an ****@AOL.com address and thats unacceptable.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    no AOL afficianados hanging around ?