Display-Spanning with Safari etc.?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I use my 12" PB with an external 17" monitor while at the office, and span the desktop rather than mirroring it. I've noticed that I cannot put many of Apple's applications into the other desktop window/monitor. Mail.app; Safari.app etc. will not move to the other monitor, while almost any other app will.

I'm sure this is related to Apple's UI settings and the need/belief that these 'integrated' applications need to stay under the menu bar (since the second display is mapped 'above' the main display), but it is little annoying...

Is there a way around this? thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Odd. In my office I extend the desktop from my TiBook 800 to an ancient AppleVision 17" and at home onto a Dell flat screen 15" and all apps that I use (iSafari, iMail, iEverythingelse) span no problem. The only weirdness that I ever noticed was with Safari 1.0, if the window was on one screen and I clicked on a bookmark in the bar above the tabs the drop down would appear on the *other* screen. This was fixed after I upgraded to Panther and Safari 1.1.

Only apps that I remember that *didn't* work on the other monitor is the DVD player app and Yahoo's home grown instant messenger. Solved by using Fire for YIM and here, let me pop in a DVD and see if Panther fixed the other... Yep, DVD Player works on both screens now.

Joe
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I've never had a problem moving windows around between displays. I've also got a 12" pb that I hook up to a 17" monitor. Curious...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    It's because you have your second monitor above your main screen. Change it to left or right, and you'll be fine. Rearranging the physical placement of the monitor helps too.

I have tested this with my setup, and if you set two screens up so that the main monitor (with the menu bar) is the under the second screen, you can't move any windows up there unless they're already there. That's a feature. Applications are not supposed to go behind (or up the menu bar). This only applies if you have them directly on top of each other. If you have four monitors, set up like an 'U' turned 90° then you can put windows above the menu bar. But with detours