random shutdown

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was just sitting here on my iBook, listening to music through my ipod which was docked with my speakers hooked into it when all of a sudden my screen just went black and I had to restart. I'm using 10.2.8 and I have Panther but I haven't had time to upgrade yet, but i will be over my Thanksgiving break and also do a reformatting of my hard drive. So Anyway does anyone know what could of caused this random shutdown?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo20000

I was just sitting here on my iBook, listening to music through my ipod which was docked with my speakers hooked into it when all of a sudden my screen just went black and I had to restart. I'm using 10.2.8 and I have Panther but I haven't had time to upgrade yet, but i will be over my Thanksgiving break and also do a reformatting of my hard drive. So Anyway does anyone know what could of caused this random shutdown?

My only guess is that the processor got too hot. If that happens, the computer will shut down to keep the processor from frying. You don't wrap your ibook in a blanket when you use it, do you? I wouldn't really worry about it too much unless it start happening with any regularity.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well the shut down happened again in the middle of the night. I put my monitor to sleep but not the computer this way i can stay on-line, but this morning I woke up only to find my iBook shut down. Anyone have any other ideas, I'm starting to get conserned. May have to use my apple care if this continues, but I'll wait until after I do a clean install of panther and see if it continues.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Do you have power save options turned on, that could account for the overnight shutdown thing, and it is possible that something strange happened with them making your computer shut down as you were using it. It could also be heat, try and keep that sucker cool, that will help everything, speed included.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    This is happening to me now. Actually not me, but my imac that I just installed panther on...I was restoring some data from a DVD and came back later to the computer..Off. Perhaps after installing Panther some energy settings were changed. Hopefully nothing hardware related is going on.