HELP: I Installed something and I want it off...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
...my machine. I forgot what it was and there is no mention of the name anywhere on my computer. Could someone please help me recognize what it is I installed so I can get it off my machine?

Here is a screenshot:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    somehow you've changed the text buttons to images. that might just be a regular preference somewhere. never seen it before, but it looks like it hasn't done anything to functionality.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    No, it is some software that I downloaded off of Version Tracker one day.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Any suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Look to see if there's a folder named /Library/Print Scripts/ (or something close to that).

If so, see if there's anything in there you want to keep. If not, trash it.

If that folder exists, then you get the image buttons... note the right one isn't 'Print to PDF' but is a popup of possible scripts to run, including Print to PDF. If that folder doesn't exist, it reverts to the default. The software you downloaded probably just made the folder.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Look to see if there's a folder named /Library/Print Scripts/ (or something close to that).

If so, see if there's anything in there you want to keep. If not, trash it.

If that folder exists, then you get the image buttons... note the right one isn't 'Print to PDF' but is a popup of possible scripts to run, including Print to PDF. If that folder doesn't exist, it reverts to the default. The software you downloaded probably just made the folder.

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried that, there was in fact a Print Scripts folder but deleting did not do anything. I tried to delete a few other items and scripts but the icons are still there...

Any more suggestions?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Look for the same folder in *your* Library in your home directory. It could be either place.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Look for the same folder in *your* Library in your home directory. It could be either place.

I did a search for PDF in all directories. Things that were even remotely related to what I was looking for I trashed. It looks like I maybe out of luck?

Anyone?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    If you click and hold on the PDF icon what is the sub-menu that pops up?

I had something similar in Jaguar when I installed Stone Studio. It has an enhanced PDf creator which installed itself to be accessible in the print box just as you are seeing.

After deleting the items you mentioned did you restart? Sometimes those changes don't take effect without a restart.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Looks like the freeware app : PDFU (should show up in your Applications folder). Hopefully that answers your question.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

...my machine. I forgot what it was and there is no mention of the name anywhere on my computer. Could someone please help me recognize what it is I installed so I can get it off my machine?

Here is a screenshot:

• Reply 10 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    The only real option you have is to reinstall OS ( only ).

That should get rid of the problem but its a risky operation with Panther ( if one is to go by all the file corruption problems people are experiencing ).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

The only real option you have is to reinstall OS ( only ).

What? This is not the advice to be giving, especially when the correct answer was already given above.

This is indeed the result of PDF U. Remove that and you should be fine.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

What? This is not the advice to be giving, especially when the correct answer was already given above.

This is indeed the result of PDF U. Remove that and you should be fine.

Thankyou Brad.

Seeing that there was no confirmation as to the effect of the previous advice, I assumed it had not worked..

hence my suggestion.

In any case, I stand corrected.