sound balance

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
is anybody experiencing any balance changes when using the [old] apple pro keyboard to change the volume in 10.3?

i am.

it happens on a QS DP 1Ghz and Rev.A PB12"; i noticed it when using Cubase SX and *cough*RealOnePlayer*cough*. there aren't any balance changes when changing volume in the menu bar.

{i hope no one has mentioned this before; i did a search and found nothing.}

{oh oh, i do like how my iSub FINALLY mutes when i mute everything. cuz before my pro speakers would mute out but the iSub was still kickin' that bass.}

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I've experienced it too, on a Mac G4 Cube 450mhz running 10.3.1. However, it is minimal.

Gerardiki: Does your iSub ever just shut off? Like, the sound on your computer still works, but the iSub doesn't, even though the volume is still up?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I've experienced it too, on a Mac G4 Cube 450mhz running 10.3.1. However, it is minimal.

Gerardiki: Does your iSub ever just shut off? Like, the sound on your computer still works, but the iSub doesn't, even though the volume is still up?

whatcha mean by minimal? well, i might agree, the balance just shifts slightly right, but i knew something was up when i was monitoring via headphones.

anyhow, the iSub has always been a funky, creature. for some reason or another, it was always so loud in 10.1, but i think only cuz 10.1 didn't have iSub volume controls and set its volume to highest. and since in Jaguar, the iSub wouldn't mute even when volume was "muted," or when headphones were plugged in, i've had my fair share of reaching around back and disconnecting and reconnecting.

what i have yet to test is whether or not the aforementioned happens (a muted iSub) when i plug in some headphones. hrrrrrrmmmmm. [edit: JUST tested it, and yes, the iSub still remains on, even with headphones attached. AND there is no bass heard in the headphones! *doh*]

oh, and i do recall one time today when the iSub was shut off, altho i think it's a Panther thang. and i'm so used to reaching around, i just, do it. hahaha. maybe it has somethiing to do with waking from sleep? *shrug* hehe
  • Reply 3 of 9
    This has been going on since the 10.2 days..... happens on my Powerbook all the bloody time (and I don't have 10.3 yet). Personally I think the volume keys work like shit a lot of the time if you try to raise or lower the volume quickly.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I used to have this problem on my 12" PowerBook (original version) but it apparently stopped happening even before Panther. It would just occasionally shift the balance a bit to the right. One time I think it wen to the left. I certainly haven't had any problems with it since I upgraded to 10.3.

I'm still slightly annoyed that using the keyboard to adjust volume still uses the default sound effect and not the one I've selected myself. You'd think that would be a simple enough problem to address, but no revision of the OS has fixed it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Influenza

I'm still slightly annoyed that using the keyboard to adjust volume still uses the default sound effect and not the one I've selected myself. You'd think that would be a simple enough problem to address, but no revision of the OS has fixed it.

Report the bug to Apple, if they don't know it's broken they can't fix it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Paradise

This has been going on since the 10.2 days..... happens on my Powerbook all the bloody time (and I don't have 10.3 yet). Personally I think the volume keys work like shit a lot of the time if you try to raise or lower the volume quickly.

I had the same problem on my old icebook with jaguar. damn annoying, would happen once every week or two.

No troubles with panther on the eMac, though
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Report the bug to Apple, if they don't know it's broken they can't fix it.

I will have to report it, though I hope they're aware about it by now as I've read quite an amount on the net about it. But yes, thank you for reminding me that I need to do that.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I'm sure I reported the volume keys problem back when Jaguar came out and it started happening. It really doesn't bother me anymore, and I can only assume it doesn't bother them either.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Yep balance use to change for me too on my 867 tibook. Never reported it to Apple. (Probably the only thing I haven't written in about. )

Haven't had the issue since 10.3 install.