New 1ghz PB 12" screen. is it any better (brighter)?

newnew
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The first PB 12" (867 mhz) had a screen with clearly less brightness than the 15" and 17". It was more like the ibook.

The scrren had a bluish hue as well, which isn't to cool when you're working with graphics.

Anyone know if the screens have been updated? I know the 15" alu-book is brighter than the previous TiBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    don't know about the brightness, but the hue could likely be adjusted in the colorsync calibration thingie, I just made a color profile for the tibook I'm on, and it made the colors look a lot more vibrant, white is white, blue is blue...etc.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

don't know about the brightness, but the hue could likely be adjusted in the colorsync calibration thingie, I just made a color profile for the tibook I'm on, and it made the colors look a lot more vibrant, white is white, blue is blue...etc.

No matter how much you calibrate, the 1st gen. 12" Powerbook and the ibook are still not able to display white like the 15" and 17" powerbooks. Its about the screen quality.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

No matter how much you calibrate, the 1st gen. 12" Powerbook and the ibook are still not able to display white like the 15" and 17" powerbooks. Its about the screen quality.

All I can say is my PB12 1ghz is much brighter than my Pismo, and is much better at displaying grey shades than the Pismo.

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I don't know what you're talking about. My 12" screen is nice and bright and displays colors very well. Way better than my 15" tibook did.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I complained about the blue bias and I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about. Apparently, I'm not alone. The 12-inch PowerBook's screen has a blue bias (hue)...period.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

All I can say is my PB12 1ghz is much brighter than my Pismo, and is much better at displaying grey shades than the Pismo.

Amorya

That should be expected, a lot has changed since the days of the Pismo.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I don't know what you're talking about. My 12" screen is nice and bright and displays colors very well. Way better than my 15" tibook did.

Put your 12" next to a 17" and turn brightness up to maximum, you will see a significant difference...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I know my new 1GHz 12" PB isn't as bright, and doesn't have anywhere as wide a viewing angle as my old 15" TiBook. (My new PB also has one bad pixel... nothing major, but it annoys the hell out of me nevertheless. I'm not good at ignoring it. Of course, bad pixels aren't especially more or less common in the 12" PB AFAIK.)

I'm happy enough with my 12" PB, and in power and portability it's a nice improvement over my old 800 MHz TiBook, but the display keeps me from being completely ecstatic.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Put your 12" next to a 17" and turn brightness up to maximum, you will see a significant difference...

No, don't. Seriously.