Faster iChat launch time!!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is what I do to make my iChat start up really really fast and smooth.

I really hate opening iChat and waiting for all my buddies to start *fading* onto the list... it takes forever sometimes... *woosh woosh woosh woosh* ... and so on.

This is my work around... and it works like a charm.

Turn on iChat's status menu in the menu bar.

Then click it and choose "Available"

Your buddies appear instantly (no wooshing)

Then either click "Buddy List" or launch iChat.

iChat will come right up and have the Buddy List available for you in the blink of an eye.

It's not difficult and it's a great way to see who's online before you decide to launch iChat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Thanks for the tip. You might want to check out Mac OS Hints and post it there too. I know this is the way I always do it, and I assume many others do the same. However, I have never had problems with slow login on iChat. Also, it allows you to be on iChat, without having another program open, an added bonus.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I'm switching to Mac in the new year, either an iBook G4 or holding out for the G5 iMac in the spring. I just want to know if I can use iChat to talk to my PC AIM buddys, and what other messaging programs are there?

I currently use Trillian, as I have freinds on MSN, AIM and ICQ
  • Reply 3 of 4
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

I'm switching to Mac in the new year, either an iBook G4 or holding out for the G5 iMac in the spring. I just want to know if I can use iChat to talk to my PC AIM buddys...

For simple text chatting, iChat works fine with AIM. No PC AIM clients that I've heard of yet that handle iChat's audio or video, however.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

I'm switching to Mac in the new year, either an iBook G4 or holding out for the G5 iMac in the spring. I just want to know if I can use iChat to talk to my PC AIM buddys, and what other messaging programs are there?

I currently use Trillian, as I have freinds on MSN, AIM and ICQ

I use proteus to chat with friends on ICQ, MSN and AIM. I switch between ichat and proteus for AIM, but generally i'm in proteus.

It takes a bit of time and energy 2 set up proteus correctly, but once its set up it works well.

fire is another option, but i've had probems with fire in past

proteus seems more reliable

versiontracker links:

fire

protues