Hotmail and Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a hotmail account that I use to check my e-mails... unfortunately, apple's Mail requires that information on settings be filled out. Does anyone know how to do this for Hotmail?

I would like to know what to fill in for

Incoming server

Outgoing SMTP mail server

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hotmail uses a proprietary protocol that isn't typically supported by third-party e-mail clients. However, the http-mail plugin may work for you.

Moving to Software...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Had to give up on my Hotmail account...too much spam.

Im currently using Yahoo mail, so does anyone know if there is another free mail service that i can set up to use through Apple Mail?

Thanx.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Had to give up on my Hotmail account...too much spam.

Im currently using Yahoo mail, so does anyone know if there is another free mail service that i can set up to use through Apple Mail?

Thanx.

In order to use an email account with mail.app, the service needs to be either .pop3 or .imap. I believe it can also do exchange stuff now, but I'm not sure (and if you're looking for email, you're not going to be finding exchange anyway, soo....). Most free email services aren't either one of those so you have do use their web interface to get your mail (and the subsequent advertising). There is a free pop3 service available. I can't remember it off the top of my head.

The bottom line is you want to look for one that offers .pop3 or .imap. That will be prominently displayed if they do.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Unless Hotmail is your only E-mail account (!), I recommend just using your standard E-mail account from your ISP and a free service like Mail2Web when you need access anywhere on the web.

Earthlink offers a free webmail service too, if you're a subscriber, w/ OK spam agents.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    www.fastmail.fm offers free imap email.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Thanks for clearing that up guys

I'll check out all my options.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I use hotmail, been using it forever, since before it was bought by MSN even.

so it is kind of difficult for me to just SWITCH

I tried making a yahoo account and migrating to that, but inevitably I still received lots of important emails in my hotmail account, and I just gave up.

I found, however, that loading hotmail and checking THAT mail is SOOOOO much faster than loading mail and checking hotmail that way(http plugin)

*shrug* If I ever have a domain name I'm sure mail will be great, but until then, hotmail'll do

though just recently my junk mail has like tripled...that's a bummer.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Try macmail.com I've been using it for a while now and it works well for me.