Panther on G4 466?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am considering placing a bid on a G4 466 tower with CDRW and 512 mb Ram. How do you think Panther would run on this machine? How much do you think its worth? Its currently at $560 and I assume it will go higher, but at what price would it be worth buying it? Thanks.....................................

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I run Panther on a G3/400 Pismo with 384MB of RAM, and find that it works quite well. The only thing I really miss having is Quartz Extreme, but the G4 you're bidding on should have a QE capable video card.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    The auction is too high... look elseware.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Go to macofalltrades.com and look at their prices. generally speaking, you shouldn't go higher than what they have.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thanks for the info. Now see-if Apple had a reasonably priced tower i would have bought a new computer from them. Steve Jobs has a screw loose by not having a consumer tower...........
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Steve Jobs has a screw loose by not having a consumer tower

psst
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clayton Magnet

psst

Your link didnt work, but I assume you were linking me to the G4 tower. For $1299, that aint no consumer machine!...............
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Your link didnt work, but I assume you were linking me to the G4 tower. For $1299, that aint no consumer machine!...............

Steve, I hear you. I think Apple REALLY needs a consumer g4 tower (at least three different builds in the $899-$1399 price range). Some people argue that competes with the all-in-ones, but I don't think so. Some people LOVE the AIO designs, others (like me) HATE AIOs. If I have to choose between an AIO or a tower with identical processors, memory, and graphics cards, I'll take the tower ... but I know plenty of people that would take the AIO.

I spent the last two years waiting for Apple to make a cheap but quality tower, but it never came. The Cube was close, but no cigar. I recently ended up purchasing a new Dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac (512MB or PC2700 SDRAM, 120GB hard drive, superdrive, and 64MB video/graphics card) from a store that was going out of business for $1,550 ($1,899 or more everywhere else).

The reality is that Apple has high standards of quality. If you look REALLY hard at the specs for cheap PeeCee towers, you'll see they aren't as good as the G4 PowerMacs. If you want a PeeCee that even comes close to all the bells, whistles, and performance that a G4 PowerMac has, you have to pay between $1,199 and $1,899. If you want a PeeCee anything like a G5 PowerMac, you're in the $2,000 to $3,000 price range.

Yes, there's room for a cheaper Mac tower, and we might see one next year if rumors are accurate, but don't expect Apple to make a PowerMac-quality tower in the $499-$799 price range.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    For the last few weeks I have run Panther on a G3 466 iBook, and will do so until Apple release something that appeals to me, and is a fair price!

Works fine... should be even better on a G4. ( It flew on my 867 Powerbook...)

Peace,

TPC
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I just installed Panther on my B&W G4 450 (powerlogix) and it friggin screams. This makes me so happy. Now I can keep using the old smurf for awhile longer.

Bye bye 10.2, you slow old dog.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    The G4 1.25 Ghz tower as is is probably overpriced by about $300. But not everyone needs a 64 Mb video card. The rest of the specs arent that impressive anymore. Put in a slightly weaker video card and price it at $899 and theres your market share increase. There is just no logic behind what Apple is doing. Like you said some people just dont want an AIO, me included. If Jobs had a brain as large as his ego he would realize this mistake and do it. You can see how quickly the G4 towers sell when a new model comes out and the price drops-can't he see this?

As for the fact that Panther runs well on older machines that is good news. That 466 sold for $630 so I didnt get it. I am considering waiting till Apple drops the price on the 1.25 G4, or if they drop it completely which would be a big mistake in my eyes, but you never know with them ........................
  • Reply 11 of 23
    After a firmware update I got Panther running on my iMac G3 350. I t runs much faster than the 10.1.5 that was originally on it.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ac7860

After a firmware update I got Panther running on my iMac G3 350. I t runs much faster than the 10.1.5 that was originally on it.

Thats good to know. My niece is going to buy a new ibook and is going to give my mom her imac 400. I was wondering whether it would pay to install OSX on it. She will be mainly using it to go online. Ill have to increase the RAM though-only 128 Mb on it now. ..................................
  • Reply 13 of 23
    My brother's iBook G3 300mhz 128mb of ram is running panther, it aint fast, but it runs. He is upgrading the ram soon so that should help quite a bit.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

The reality is that Apple has high standards of quality. If you look REALLY hard at the specs for cheap PeeCee towers, you'll see they aren't as good as the G4 PowerMacs. If you want a PeeCee that even comes close to all the bells, whistles, and performance that a G4 PowerMac has, you have to pay between $1,199 and $1,899. If you want a PeeCee anything like a G5 PowerMac, you're in the $2,000 to $3,000 price range.

Um, I have to disagree here...

I am in the same position that I want a cheap Powermac tower, but we have to face facts that even a cheap Tower is still going to be more expensive than a PC with much better specs...

I was looking to build a PC last weeks and priced this up:

Athlon XP2800+ or Intel 3 Gig P4,

800Mhz FSB, DDR400 Motherboard (Inc USB, USB 2, Firewire, 10/100/1000, SATA etc etc),

80 Gig HD,

DVD-RW,

Radeon 9800,

1 Gig RAM.

£450.

Only downside is that you have to use Windows or Linux...

I really don't think a Powermac can ever compete on these terms... And the point is, that it doesn't have to, and Steve knows this...

IMHO, we do need a £600 'Bare bones' Tower. But it is never going to happen. It is not what Apple is about.

Peace,

TPC
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Placid Casual

Um, I have to disagree here...

I am in the same position that I want a cheap Powermac tower, but we have to face facts that even a cheap Tower is still going to be more expensive than a PC with much better specs...

I was looking to build a PC last weeks and priced this up:

Athlon XP2800+ or Intel 3 Gig P4,

800Mhz FSB, DDR400 Motherboard (Inc USB, USB 2, Firewire, 10/100/1000, SATA etc etc),

80 Gig HD,

DVD-RW,

Radeon 9800,

1 Gig RAM.

£450.

Only downside is that you have to use Windows or Linux...

I really don't think a Powermac can ever compete on these terms... And the point is, that it doesn't have to, and Steve knows this...

IMHO, we do need a £600 'Bare bones' Tower. But it is never going to happen. It is not what Apple is about.

Peace,

TPC

I should have qualified my earlier statement. Yes, if you build your own PeeCee you can build something as good as a g4 PowerMac for much less than $1000.

But the same can't be said for computers from stores. I went to Dell.com and used there "customize" features to build a PeeCee with what I consider equal performance to my dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac ... and the price was $1,499.

There are a lot more people buying from Dell and Gateway than there are people building their own PCs. If I have to pay close to the same amount for an already built PC as I do for a Mac, I'm going to buy the Mac every time ... even if I have to pay an extra $100 or so.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I should have qualified my earlier statement. Yes, if you build your own PeeCee you can build something as good as a g4 PowerMac for much less than $1000.

But the same can't be said for computers from stores. I went to Dell.com and used there "customize" features to build a PeeCee with what I consider equal performance to my dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac ... and the price was $1,499.

There are a lot more people buying from Dell and Gateway than there are people building their own PCs. If I have to pay close to the same amount for an already built PC as I do for a Mac, I'm going to buy the Mac every time ... even if I have to pay an extra $100 or so.

I agree if you look at things as they stand in the States, but in Europe it is a different story...

If the difference between a Mac and a PC was £100, cool I'll take the hit. If it was £400 I'd take the hit. But...

The 1.6 G5 only is around £1500 with 256MB RAM.

I was in a large computer store the other day, PC World the largest chain we have, and for a Compaq, Dell, or Packard Bell system based around an Athlon XP3000+ or 3Ghz P4, 1 Gig RAM, with DVD-RW, CD-RW, top of the line Gfx card, a 17" TFT LCD screen included, Microsoft Office, and a decent Canon printer, it came to around £900.

From some custom build firms, you can get an Athlon 64 based system complete with 17" LCD... for £850.

Basically you could get 2 Athlon 64 complete systems for less than 1 1.6Ghz G5 if you choose to buy an Apple LCD display with the G5. :eek:

Sad but True.

Apple is the 'upmarket' option, and they would probably make a killing if they dropped the price of a basic tower, or had a sub £800 G5 Cube like box, but they can never compete with the big players on price and will hopefully never try.

While they can get us to spend on expensive powermacs, they will...

Peace,

TPC
  • Reply 17 of 23
    If the Powermac were only $100 more than a PC tower I'd grab it. Its not the case. I sell Compaq's and HPs and I can get a very decent upgradeable Compaq for $500 after rebate and a HP slightly better than that for $700. The only difference is that the graphics card runs on system memory. To get a better card would cost about $90. Sorry, the Powermac G4 aint even close. $1299 is a ripoff any way you look at it.....................
  • Reply 18 of 23
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

let me get this straight.....you're willing to spend 560 bucks (plus another 40 or so for shipping) on an old g4/466 tower but a brand new 1.25Ghz PowerMac G4 with well rounded features for 1299 is not a consumer machine and something to consider?

that's just strange.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I will agree that the tower is 300 dollars overpriced though. But considering what you were seemingly willing to pay for a G4/466 it's not too much.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I will agree that the tower is 300 dollars overpriced though. But considering what you were seemingly willing to pay for a G4/466 it's not too much.

Theres a BIG difference between $600 and $1300. If the new G4 were $900 or $1000 you would have a point..................