Wireless Network Setup & Security

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i am having a bit of trouble getting my new PB's airport extreme card to work properly with my D-Link 802.11g router. the router used to work fine on my previous PB (which i sent back for white spot problems), and i had set up that router with my previous PB.

now when i try to connect to some programs, like msn messenger and AOL, it says it cant find the internet connection. but i can launch IE and safari ok. however, when i download something, it slows up my iMac, which is connected via ethernet cable.

also, how can i make sure my router is secure from anyone with a wireless card who is within range? i can detect one of my neighbor's networks from my apartment. if i turn on WEP thru the router, airport stops working altogether because it cant find a network to connect to.

any configuration and security tips would be appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    If you're using the DI-624, under Advanced tab, Filters link on the left, you can choose MAC filters and filter it such that only the MAC address of your Powerbook can access the network.

Under status tab --> wireless link on left, you can see what computers are connected to the router.

You can disable the SSID broacast of the router (basically so that other computers can't see your router name when they have wireless on in Advanced tab --> Performance link).

Also, if you've enabled, WEP, make sure you're entering the proper type of password (probably a hex format).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thanks man.

btw, how do i get my PB to automatically disconnect aiport when i plug in the ethernet cable? it used to do that on my other PB. now both connections are active and i have to manually turn airport off.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Not sure, I think reordering the priority of the connections in the Network port Configurations (moving ethernet above airport) might do the trick, but I'm not sure on that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Not sure, I think reordering the priority of the connections in the Network port Configurations (moving ethernet above airport) might do the trick, but I'm not sure on that.

i had already thought of that, and it didnt work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    This is gonna sound dumb, but when I first got my DI-614+, I couldn't get my iBook to log on if I had WEP enabled. Eventually I realized that when Airport asks you for a password, to the left of the text box is a menu where you have to choose what KIND of password you're entering. You can pick either an ASCII or Hex password when you configure the router; make sure you pick the same type (NOT the default "Password") when Airport asks for the WEP password.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    In order to force hex, enter a $ sign before the WEP string. Unfortunately, I don't know what could be causing the slow down you're experiencing.