Satellite internet providers for Mac?

saksak
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking at purchasing a house outside of Seattle (North Bend) and it doesn't get cable or DSL service Does anyone know of any satellite services that would do the trick? I CAN'T go back to dialup!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    direcway from directv now has mac support
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I'm with you, I would rather kill myself than go back to dialup. Your problem now is, satellite is wicked expensive. Blackbird is right about the directv service, but it's pricey.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I wish was purchasing a house outside of Seattle.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    heh yea since I live in Vermont I know how it is. But DMB is right it's far too expensive to justify especially considering it's actually not that fast and dependent on weather. Who wants to have the internet shut off because of a storm.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    As someone who has provided support for end users of satellite internet service, I can firmly say that it is for people who have too much money and ABSOLUTLY NO OTHER OPTIONS. If you have other options, IDSL (you can get it almost anywhere just need to find a provider, distance is not an issue with IDSL), Extended Reach ADSL is available it lots of areas (not remote terminals like SBC/Bellsouth, but actual ADSL repeaters on the loop, New Edge Neworks provides this service to ISPs to resell). Or even "shotgun dialup" (bonding to dialup modems into one connection, but few ISPS support it).

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO OTHER OPTIONS FIRST!

Then make sure that the connection reliabilty is NOT important, that you won't actually use it a lot (the have a policy of capping you to dialup speeds after a few hundred MB transfered in a few hour period), and that you have lots of time to possibly waste with tech support.

Also the way the network translation/proxying they do breaks a lot of things, like VPNs/etc.

Oh yeah and you can expect 800-1000ms latency so forget any gaming other than yahoo style board/card games.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    coming soon in Europe for Mac users