What will an iBook be like in 2 revisions?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey people, I am just wondering what you think on the matter of future iBook revisions. The reason I am asking is because I am hoping to purchase an iBook for my next school year. I am assuming that Apple will update them in March/April so I am hoping that The will have updated them once again by September/October of 2004. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THNK I WILL BE ABLE TO GET IN 2 REVISIONS TIME?

I hope I will be able to get an iBook with 64MB of VRAM by then plus a better GPU and more L2 cache. I love the iBook's pricepoint and it's cost to performance ratio, so I am guessing I will be in for a treat!javascript:smilie''''

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You'll see the 12" at 1ghz and the 14 up to 1.33 by next fall because by that time we'll have a G5 in a PowerBook. Right now the iBooks are underclocked so as not to directly compete with the PBs. Once the PBs have new processors, the iBooks speed will take off. I'm hoping for 64mb of VRAM too, but again, it all depends on the PowerBooks. If the PBs jump to 128 with the G5 (there is no reason why they wont), we'll see 64 mb of VRAM in the iBooks with a higher native resolution. iBooks are very capable computers that are being held back by the PBs lack of a faster processor. The iBooks will eventually take on PB specs once the PBs have G5s. Hope this wasn't too much rambling.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

You'll see the 12" at 1ghz and the 14 up to 1.33 by next fall because by that time we'll have a G5 in a PowerBook. Right now the iBooks are underclocked so as not to directly compete with the PBs. Once the PBs have new processors, the iBooks speed will take off. I'm hoping for 64mb of VRAM too, but again, it all depends on the PowerBooks. If the PBs jump to 128 with the G5 (there is no reason why they wont), we'll see 64 mb of VRAM in the iBooks with a higher native resolution. iBooks are very capable computers that are being held back by the PBs lack of a faster processor. The iBooks will eventually take on PB specs once the PBs have G5s. Hope this wasn't too much rambling.

I agree with most of these points.

I happen to be in the same boat, where if all goes well, I'm hoping to buy myself a 12" iBook for my 4th year of University (which is going to be almost entirely comp sci and MIS courses). I would be happy with the current model, but the usual April or so iBook revision would be icing on the cake.

A 64MB ATI Radeon 9600 would be nice, but I'm a bit doubtful about the iBook featuring it anytime soon. That said, ATI has a few GPU models forthcoming, as things are set to get very interesting in early 2004 for the graphics war. ATI and Nvidia will be going head to head at that time with their truly next gen parts.