iBook800 G3 vs PBG4 modem performance/stability: why is iBook so bad?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm just wondering: using identical settings (same OS 10.3.1, all patches, same settings, same number, same account, same phonewire etc.) the PBG4 holds the line for ages without dropping it once ... and the iBook (800 G3 Radeon 7500 32MB) keeps dropping the line. I'm using the exact smae software to browser. Really everything is identical except the hardware.

Is the built-in modem of the new Al PBG4 so much better?

Is there a fimrware upgrade for the iBook (late 2002 model)?

Anyone any comments on this observation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    What modem setting are you using on the iBook?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

What modem setting are you using on the iBook?

All identical to PBG4 (Apple Internal Modem v.92)

The whole setup is really the same on both 'Books
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I remember reading something about the modems in the G3 iBooks somewhere, about a fault with them and dropping connections.

I haven't used a new one, but my old G3 iBook is the absolute shits at keeping a dial up connection. I basically just quit trying to resolve it, and just live with the thing.

\
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Try v.90 on the iBook..... ?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Try v.90 on the iBook..... ?

Will do, just it is for sure a V.92 modem (hardware technote and tch spec says so!)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    point is, V.92 can only be used with an ISP that supports it, which is, at least in Europe, still a minority.

Otherwise it will give you a lot of trouble.

I just recently helped set up an iMac 17" for a friend and her boyfriend (a PC guy) had left it at the now default V.92 modem script. She had to try several minutes before she'd get a connection established. I switched it back to V.90 and now all is fine and connecting at the first attempt.

Don't use V.92 unless you KNOW that your ISP supports it.

It's not any faster anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Sigh. he *knows* his ISP supports it--the other laptop is having no problems.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    that's hardly a proof, that could simply be a difference in the modems that handles V.92 better/different on a non-supported line.