Help! Vanishing HD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My HD is partitioned into 5 seperate volumes.

Since installing Panther on a 10 GB partition, space has been vanishing.

I'm down to no free space at all now and have had to trash desktop pics etc just to get going!

Where is it going? I loaded a couple of small apps on the same partition but they are tiny. I think I should have about 3.5 GB free.

BTW... in disk utility I'm showing 4+ BG of virtual ram (but I dont know where...startup disk perhaps? If so can that be changed ( I have 1.5 GB physical ram anyway)

Is anyone else getting this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Okay... I just found a 6GB console log...WTF!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zarathustra

Okay... I just found a 6GB console log...WTF!

NICE!

Your computer must love to log stuff... Umm I would do a fresh install and track that log file to see if it inflates...

I am not an OSX expert but I do know that a 6gig log file is not a normal thing. Can someone (who has panther) tell us if there is a log file control app?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Do you have filevault switched on?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Do you have filevault switched on?

File vault sucks. If you have it on, turn it off. It takes up way too much space and it's worthless. That could be the reason behind your overly large log file.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hmmmm

File vault is off.

I had to force delete the console log to get it out of the trash and although yesterday I was showing 6GB free (after trashing the log), I'm now back down to 1.5GB free.

I've been back to the library and I can't find any over large files (console log now shows as 4k)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Anyone think it might be V Memory? Is there any way to tell?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zarathustra

Anyone think it might be V Memory? Is there any way to tell?

i dont know about searching for virtual memory, but you can do a search for large files. In finder, hit command-f, and search for files larger than 1G. Give it some time, then look for weird files you don't recognize. Check out where they are from (their file path), and if they seem odd, tell us and/or remove them.

i'm pretty sure there is a function for the size of vram, which is something like variable times amount of physical ram, where the variable is greater than 1 (and there may be more parts to the function that i can't think of). i think its somehting like 2x physical ram. i don't think there is any easy way to configure it.