I'm looking for some sound advice (Ha!)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The G5's internal speaker just isn't doing it for me, so to speak. My friend just bought some nice Logitech speakers for under $100 (5.1 set), and the sound it satisfyingly rich and full of nice base (I tested his speakers by playing UT2k3 )

Now here is my question: which 5.1 speakers will work with the Powermac G5? Are there specific speakers that will work with the G5's optical audio-out, or can I use regular 5.1 speakers with an adapter of sorts?

Any advice would be helpful.

You liked my pun, right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Any 5.1 speakers should work, as long as they have an optical input on them and are powered. Most people are probably hooking their G5 up to a receiver to avoid the whole powered speaker mess. Speakers are pretty much universally compatible, so as long as it has an optical input you should be set. I would recommend just running it through a receiver if you have the option.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Check the Apple Store.

They sell Klipsch and Logitech 5.1 systems.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Check the Apple Store.

They sell Klipsch and Logitech 5.1 systems.

Are those the $200 ones? I'm looking for something less expensive.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    So...any suggestions?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I suggest a stereo setup rather than a 5.1 channel system. The reason for this is that it is near impossible to make an improvement in fidelity or sonic-imaging by choosing a cheap multi-channel package over a similarly priced stereo package. Spend all of your money on a pair of quality speakers and suitable amplifier whether it be a stereo receiver or an integrated-amp. With only two speakers sounds will be more convincingly localized or dispersed when sitting at predictably constant location. You'll also have more/better power being delivered to the speakers on the same budget. You can drive any of these setups through the G5s optical out.

It is a common mistake to assume that more speakers equals better sound. In the case of near-field listening as is common for computer use, a stereo setup is usually best.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I suggest a stereo setup rather than a 5.1 channel system. The reason for this is that it is near impossible to make an improvement in fidelity or sonic-imaging by choosing a cheap multi-channel package over a similarly priced stereo package. Spend all of your money on a pair of quality speakers and suitable amplifier whether it be a stereo receiver or an integrated-amp. With only two speakers sounds will be more convincingly localized or dispersed when sitting at predictably constant location. You'll also have more/better power being delivered to the speakers on the same budget. You can drive any of these setups through the G5s optical out.

It is a common mistake to assume that more speakers equals better sound. In the case of near-field listening as is common for computer use, a stereo setup is usually best.

I just thought having sound from behind would be kinda cool. But I don't really need it, I guess.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I just thought having sound from behind would be kinda cool. But I don't really need it, I guess.

It is kinda cool... but you trade sound quality and realism for the gee-wiz factor. While rear speakers will make it obvious that sound is coming from behind you, the soundstage won't be any more convincing. In fact, you'll be less able to immerse yourself in the soundscape.

In order for rear speakers to be truly useful, it is necessary to set up an entire room properly. It is quite rare for this arrangement to jive with how people want to position their computer station. Also, to get proper left/right panning in a multi-channel system (for the size of an average computer monitor), all three front speakers are ridiculously close. This defeats the original purpose of a center channel that was to compensate for wide screens and a close viewing position.

Rear channels can be done well but normally hurt the sound for close quarter listening. Now, don?t think that I?m just completely anti surround sound? I?m running 7.1 in my home theater. But when there is only one person in the audience and they?re guaranteed to always sit in the same location and extremely close to the main speakers, stereo will always sound better. Stereo will sound better even before you figure in having more dollars to spend per speaker.