Why is iTunes So Lacking in Certain Genres

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Aside from Pop music, there is so little folk, classical, musicals, dance, etc music on iTunes.

I assume this is because the major users are young, and the market for the above is not that great.

I keep thinking of buying an iPod, but always back off when I look for music that I might download, and am disappointed.

???

Dr. L

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Don't forget that you can take the CDs and MP3s you already own and import them into iTunes. Then all that music can be transferred to your iPod. It's perfectly legit for the CDs at least. For the MP3s, well, it depends on where you got them.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Classicals, Musicals the like = Old People music.

Dance= Club music

The major labels are predominantly Pop. They want to hawk what is easiest to sell.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Classical and dance tracks are often very long too, so it's not likely they'll want to sell you them for 99 cents each. They'll most likely be album only anyway. Not the best medium for sales of that kind of music.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I think it is mostly a matter of labels. Most of the majors are heavily skewed to sell pop music. Much of the folk and Jazz music is released on smaller labels. Or semi-independent arms of the majors. Given iTunes recent addition of smaller labels I would expect more to appear as these labels get more stuff encoded.

As it is, I got a lot of folk off eMusic, but with their new model I'm not sure if I'll continue. But if you like good folk, go sign up for their forty song trial and download the Hank Dogs.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Still waiting for import tracks, wouldn't a global record deal (heard something about that) offer them? Euro electronic, Japanese pop and rock. That would be something considering import CDs can go for $30 each. Wishful thinking
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Visit your local TowerRecord or Virgin Megastore then.

I believe that Apple/Record companies will improve the iTMS... it's not a day/night thing..

But looking at those top songs in iTMS.. you can know iTMS buyers' tastes
  • Reply 8 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth But looking at those top songs in iTMS.. you can know iTMS buyers' tastes

Yeah, rather shitty and typical.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Visit your local TowerRecord or Virgin Megastore then.

I believe that Apple/Record companies will improve the iTMS... it's not a day/night thing..

But looking at those top songs in iTMS.. you can know iTMS buyers' tastes

That's true, but I find it nice to be able to look at what other people who bought certain CDs I like also bought. For example, I looked at "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" and saw that "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" was tops among "also boughts". I bought it and I'm very happy with it. Don't just look at the top sellers because they're, by their definition, pop.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The classical and jazz sections are not as large as the poop/rock sections, but all I know is that they have much, much more classical and jazz than any of my local record stores.

I wish they'd figure out how to handle the composer vs. "artist" issue in classical, though.

[edit: heh, poop.]
  • Reply 11 of 16
    They need to get a lot of indepenent electronic music labels from the us and uk, etc. A lot of electronic music that is dance based, drum n bass, house, etc, takes a long time to acually get released to the public, if at all (although there is also DJ superiority where big name DJ's don't want everyone to have certain tracks for awhile).

I think the music store will make it easier for them to release tracks and make money, and make me happy
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Classicals [sic] ... = Old People music.

I ain't old.

Many classical music buffs would rather have lossless, CD-quality music in their hands than the same music compressed, frankly - regardless of price.

(It's very late into the night as I write this; I may expand on this post further later on.)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I want to see the iTunes music store get EVERY single frank zappa release.

that would put them up to about 800,000 songs
  • Reply 14 of 16
    To sorta followup to my post above, I saw this little tidbit on MacMinute this morning:

Quote:

Naxos, a leading classical music label, said on Wednesday that Apple's iTunes Music Store (iTMS) is currently overcharging customers for its albums. According to Naxos, the correct pricing for the company's albums on the iTMS should be US$5.99, not the $9.99 customers are currently being charged. "We are taking this issue very seriously and are making it a priority, contacting Apple about it almost everyday," the company said in a statement. "Indeed, our president has contacted someone in Steve Jobs' office several times in an attempt to remedy the situation."

Naxos offers classical recordings at very low prices, $5.99 being the usual for a single CD. Perhaps surprising to some, many of the performances (current and historical reissues) are quite good too despite the low price.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah Naxos does some good stuff and just a few days ago I noticed that Apple was charging more from them than you could get at a retail store. Doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah Naxos does some good stuff and just a few days ago I noticed that Apple was charging more from them than you could get at a retail store. Doesn't make much sense.

Which begs the question in my mind: who's making the extra money on this deal? Apple is making just a small percentage on any sale; Naxos, being an independent label, is the only other participant here. It seems Naxos deserves a pat on the back for proactively and publically wanting to rectify matters, since they are making about 50% more* money per album sold on iTunes than at retail.

* If I got the numbers figured out right.