Bad places to buy RAM?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 and am currently shopping for 512MB DDR SDRAM (PC2700) modules so I can upgrade the RAM.

I've found some relatively cheap prices ($80-$90) and some relatively expensive prices ($120-$140).

Is there any store that I sould stay away from? Are there any RAM manufacturers I should avoid?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I have a dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 and am currently shopping for 512MB DDR SDRAM (PC2700) modules so I can upgrade the RAM.

I've found some relatively cheap prices ($80-$90) and some relatively expensive prices ($120-$140).

Is there any store that I sould stay away from? Are there any RAM manufacturers I should avoid?

i'd go to http://www.dealram.com and buy the cheapest stuff i could find. many people here will say otherwise, but my experiences with cheap ram have been all positive. one time i had a defective chip and it was exchanged no questions asked.

i've had good luck with 18004memory.com -- ordered from them half a dozen times. you'll get a better price there if you go through dealram.com

prepare to hear contrary opinions.

crucial shmrucial
  • Reply 2 of 7
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    www.crucial.com are great. They're the manufacturer as well as the retailer, so you know where the stuff's come from.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I remember from the last time I jumped into one of these. It seems to me all the RAM dealers will replace defective RAM. It's not an issue. With some of the cheap ones you have to pay to ship it back. It's not a lot via first class mail, you just have to wait. So you save some money up front and maybe lose it if you have to ship it back. Some people think they are paying for first rate service with free FedEx overnight shipping for all defective parts and it aint the case.

So it seems to me that when you pay more or less you are paying for a level of service and response time. For the home user you may want to save a buck or two, for business it may not be worth it.

Read the fine print.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I remember from the last time I jumped into one of these. It seems to me all the RAM dealers will replace defective RAM. It's not an issue. With some of the cheap ones you have to pay to ship it back. It's not a lot via first class mail, you just have to wait. So you save some money up front and maybe lose it if you have to ship it back. Some people think they are paying for first rate service with free FedEx overnight shipping for all defective parts and it aint the case.

So it seems to me that when you pay more or less you are paying for a level of service and response time. For the home user you may want to save a buck or two, for business it may not be worth it.

Read the fine print.

crucial.com all the way baby.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by low-fi

crucial.com all the way baby.

I'm not sure why that's a reply to my comment. Maybe you can elaborate?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm not sure why that's a reply to my comment. Maybe you can elaborate?

He probably just hit the wrong reply button.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

He probably just hit the wrong reply button.

I think you're right.

In case anyone is interested, I went with Crucial.

BTW, DMBand0026, I love the line in your signature about Gates and Windows. That's great!