Sharing iTunes through a router

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not really sure what forum this should be in, it's similar to this so i'll post it here.

I'm on a university network and have been enjoying all the iTunes shares. However I wanted both of my comptuers on the network so bought a router ( "SparkCOM" ). There's a Windows 2000 PC (a necessary evil which i'd rather not talk about) and my PowerBook G4. iTunes is running on both.

What I want to do is share iTunes with either of the computers but have got thoroughly confused with port forwarding and virtual servers (which is two different options on my routers set up web pages).

I've read that I'd need to do something to share outside my subnet.

I'm a bit stuck now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Make sure you have your music shared on each computer (preferences, sharing, turn sharing on) and if they are on the same router they should recognize each other without any port forwarding or any other complicated stuff like that. Apple makes it really easy. Can't you see other users Library's when you have iTunes launched? It should work that way on a network.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Make sure you have your music shared on each computer (preferences, sharing, turn sharing on) and if they are on the same router they should recognize each other without any port forwarding or any other complicated stuff like that. Apple makes it really easy. Can't you see other users Library's when you have iTunes launched? It should work that way on a network.

Thanks DMBand0026 but i'm sorry if I wasn't clear, seeing the computers connected to my router is not a problem, it's the level above that I want to be able to share with as that would be computers that do not belong to me. I have been succesfully using iTunes shares for some time so I know all about those sort of settings and have helped many with their own, but it is setting it up to get past my router that I do not know much about and want help with.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Just wondering now about DMZ settings, i've enabled it for the computer I want iTunes to share, but no luck