Question about Word X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone out there really familar with Word?

I am trying to prepare a manuscript with Word that includes some figures.....I always thought the best way to include figures (plots and graphs..etc) was to insert them as .jpgs. These figures are made in Sigma Plot and I export them as .jpgs from Sigma Plot (made on a PC) and then insert them into Word on a mac.

This apparently, causes printing problems. The .jpgs do not print out well even though they are high quality. The bigger problem, however, is if I try to convert the .doc file to a .pdf. Then, the figures really look bad if they even convert at all.

Recently, someone told me that Microsoft suggests pasting in the figures as a "word picture" file (this option is under the paste special menu). This works great for printing the files, especially as a .pdf which is what I want. They print out very sharp and nice.....

What is the problem, you might ask? Pasting the figures as word pictures slows down Word X like you would not believe. It can slow these down by many, many seconds where the system is not responsive and you see the little spinning ball.....It is very frustrating when it takes 10 seconds to pull down a menu or scroll through half a page.......anyone know what the problem is? I am running Panther...perhaps I need to update word?

There is no reason is should take 10 seconds to pull down a menu.

Anyone? Thanks,

-Dr. Bimane

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The problem can be summed up in one word: Word. It's terrible. Sorry about that. I don't know how to solve the problem, though...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Why do people diss Word and IE so much? Just cos they're made by ? This isn't a rhetorical question. (Sorry Dr Bimane. I hope this won't derail you're thread. And I'ma newbie and have no idea how to help you )
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Pensieve,

I agree that Word sucks but there really is not much of an alternative at this point.....Appleworks? Laugh. Yeah, right. Don't even say Openoffice......

There must be a way to resolve this problem.

-Dr.Bimane
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Why do people diss Word and IE so much? Just cos they're made by MS? This isn't a rhetorical question.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=25402

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=29455

That's just for starters. Read them. Please.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    word has updates up to 10.1.5 now i believe.

can it import EPS files? the key is you want vectored text and graphics. although the word image format (whatever it is) is a vectored one, i've encountered a wide variety of problems with it.

if it can do EPS give that a shot. (btw, is it the entire graph, or just the rotated text?)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    You have to do this:

Insert/Image/From File
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by raimac

You have to do this:

Insert/Image/From File

Yes, yes. I know that.

I can get the image in there (.jpg is usually what I use). But, when I try to convert the .doc document to a .pdf document with Acrobat Professional, the figures look fuzzy when I print them out, if they convert at all. This is even if the .jpg is a very high quality .jpg.

It is amazing how "past special" as a picture makes the image look so good when printed......I just want to know why it slows down my computer despite the fact that it actaully REDUCES the size of my Word file!?!

This must be some sort of bug.

-Dr. Bimane