Dual 1.8 G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In addition to the iMac. Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    I do notice that of at least 3 minutes ago, their hardware page has not been updated to reflect the dual processors. I wonder if these machines are a rev. 2, or just all of the original "stuff"....
  • Reply 2 of 76
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's all the same stuff. When you finally see rev.B Power Macs, you won't have the PCI/DDR333 board in the line-up.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    This is GREAT news!!! The lineup is much more balanced now. If I had the money I would buy a dual 1.8 GHz straight away, I think it's extremely good value!

Also good to see the 1.6 coming down in price (200$).

Good for Apple and good for us (unless you've just bought a single 1.6 or 1.8 of course )
  • Reply 4 of 76
    OOOOOH I bet people who bought the 1.8 are PISSED! 2 times the performance for EXACTLY the same price. I've never seen a difference so stark from one day to the next

That said, this is a good move by Apple in terms of market strategy and inventory control. The 1.8 is probably a G5 chip production sweet spot by this time, and I can't imagine they were moving many at this speed when it was the worst value proposition in the lineup and only one chip was in every box. Now they get rid of the glut of these chips, because anyone is going to grab a 1.8 dualie rather than 2.0 and keep their $500. The previous imbalance did keep the 2.0 a hot seller at first and soaked the early adopters for that critical extra $500.

The low end also now comes down to the rational price point everyone was asking for.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by Curufinwe

The low end also now comes down to the rational price point everyone was asking for.

Not nearly as low as it needs to be. Again, the cheapest an average user can get in is $1299 for the 15" iMac. If you want a bigger screen you're all the way up to $1799. But in order for the 1.6G5 to come down any lower, iMac prices have to drop some. Not good for consumer users. AT ALL. But the 1.8 dual is a good deal and a hell of a computer.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

OOOOOH I bet people who bought the 1.8 are PISSED! 2 times the performance for EXACTLY the same price. I've never seen a difference so stark from one day to the next

That said, this is a good move by Apple in terms of market strategy and inventory control. The 1.8 is probably a G5 chip production sweet spot by this time, and I can't imagine they were moving many at this speed when it was the worst value proposition in the lineup and only one chip was in every box. Now they get rid of the glut of these chips, because anyone is going to grab a 1.8 dualie rather than 2.0 and keep their $500. The previous imbalance did keep the 2.0 a hot seller at first and soaked the early adopters for that critical extra $500.

You are right i am pissed , i just have my G5 1,8 from one month and is obsolete right now : he lost nearly 30 % of his price.

Anywyay, i have complained many times here, that Apple should have shipped a dual 1,8 G5 instead a single. Yes the lineup is more balanced now.

Reparing an error lately is better than no repair.

The good point for me, is that my single 1,8 will become a collector \
  • Reply 7 of 76
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Again, the cheapest an average user can get in is $1299 for the 15" iMac

uh, or the $799 eMac.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member

THat's all I can say. This really sucks for me. Damn. I hate this, Apple. I hate this. My 1.8 suddenly isn't appealing.

• Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

But in order for the 1.6G5 to come down any lower, iMac prices have to drop some. Not good for consumer users.

This is off topic here. . . but in response to the above:

The most underwhelming thing today was the lack of a price drop in the iMac line. I mean throw us a frickin holiday bone for cryin out loud. C'mon Apple, absorb a little bit of the lcd price increases and cut $100 across the board to get people excited about the consumer machines again in time for the busiest buying season of the year! Just too expensive right now.

The 20" will clearly be among the first to get a G5, but where does the pricing go from $2199? $2699?
  • Reply 10 of 76
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You people are impossible. Apple doesn't update, you scream that they have to do such and such. If they give you what you want, you get mad that they're making your products obsolete.

Deal with it, pussies.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

uh, or the $799 eMac.

I don't count the eMac. Seriously. i don't really consider it to be an option when helping family and friends shop around for a computer. It's too 90's. Maybe I should? But CRTs seem so old skool.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:

This is off topic here. . . but in response to the above:

The most underwhelming thing today was the lack of a price drop in the iMac line. I mean throw us a frickin holiday bone for cryin out loud. C'mon Apple, absorb a little bit of the lcd price increases and cut $100 across the board to get people excited about the consumer machines again in time for the busiest buying season of the year! Just too expensive right now.

The 20" will clearly be among the first to get a G5, but where does the pricing go from $2199? $2699?

Yes! I am VERY happy about the changes to the G5 PowerMac line and it's nice to see a huge iMac monitor, but what's up with the price?

I almost laughed out loud in the office this morning when I went to the Apple website and saw the price was $2199. What a JOKE. The iMacs were already considerably OVERPRICED, and now Apple has made the top of the line iMac even MORE expensive.

I don't know what the folks in charge of pricing at Apple are smoking, but they need to get into rehab NOW. The MOST expensive iMac shouldn't break the $1,999 barrier ... and that's with the largest LCD, fully loaded with RAM, huge hard drive, and a great graphics/video card. $2199 for a top-level iMac G4 is bad, bad, bad. Shame on you, Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Quote:

I don't count the eMac. Seriously. i don't really consider it to be an option when helping family and friends shop around for a computer. It's too 90's. Maybe I should? But CRTs seem so old skool.

The problem is quality LCD prices. High quality LCDs still cost a lot of money. Lower-priced LCDs are okay, but they suck for people who care about things like color accuracy. I run a photo studio and do a lot of work in Photoshop. I have yet to see a sub $699 LCD monitor that didn't SUCK compared to the image quality of a $250 CRT. Sure CRTs are bulky and don't look as "new", but they're cheap and the colors are true.

Anyway, back to the G5 topic. With this latest news, what do you folks think the next speed bump will be and when?
  • Reply 14 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

You people are impossible. Apple doesn't update, you scream that they have to do such and such. If they give you what you want, you get mad that they're making your products obsolete.

Deal with it, pussies.

I didn't buy the 1.8 and I usually don't sympathize with the sour grapes crowd. I was just mentioning that today is the most dramatic upgrade substitution at the same price that I have ever seen. Some people are going to kick themselves that they didn't wait a month before pulling the trigger. Looking at the same price with double the processors must be like a slap in the face. We watch the rumor sites to AVOID pain like this.

• Reply 15 of 76
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Mark my words: The 1.6Ghz G5's days are numbered.

Today's update keeps the door open for whatever big fancy thing is coming at MWSF, and shortly after that (maybe a month later) Apple will dump the single 1.6, move the dual 1.8 and dual 2.0 down a level, and release the dual 2.4Ghz G5.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

I didn't buy the 1.8 and I usually don't sympathize with the sour grapes crowd. I was just mentioning that today is the most dramatic upgrade substitution at the same price that I have ever seen. Some people are going to kick themselves that they didn't wait a month before pulling the trigger. Looking at the same price with double the processors must be like a slap in the face. We watch the rumor sites to AVOID pain like this.

they have done the same across the entire powermac line in the past.

like when they went dual for the first time or like when they went ALL dual.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:

Yeah, maybe it's not the latest and greatest tech as far as displays go, but I just bought one for my son and it's one sweet little machine.

Very snappy with Panther on it!

You shouldn't leave it out as an option.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    high quality LCDs? Like the nice "white spot" LCDs Apple's been shipping lately? The LCD of the Cinema Displays are ONLY 350:1 brightness. What the fvck is up with that??? Even crap Dell TFT products are at about 500:1 brightness and stuff.

Helllooooo Apple...

(sorry, this is off topic with Dual 1.8)

Re: Dual 1.8 = coooooool... Go Apple go
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

high quality LCDs? Like the nice "white spot" LCDs Apple's been shipping lately? The LCD of the Cinema Displays are ONLY 350:1 brightness. What the fvck is up with that??? Even crap Dell TFT products are at about 500:1 brightness and stuff.

Helllooooo Apple...

(sorry, this is off topic with Dual 1.8)

Re: Dual 1.8 = coooooool... Go Apple go

That was my point. Even the lower-end LCD displays from Apple (which are still pretty expensive) aren't that great ... and of course most of the cheap-o Dell stuff stinks. The only positive thing about Dell is the cheap price if you just want a junky computer for Web, e-mail, word processing and some VERY basic other stuff.

Anyway, that's why CRTs, although "old school" are still great. They have great performance and low cost ... but they're bulky.

As for the G5 PowerMacs, I'm still happy with my "new" dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac ... but I'm looking forward to the day (probably in 2006) when I'll be buying a dual G5 machine ... probably just as the G6s are coming out.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Any chance that I'd be able to buy an extra processor?