So.... filevault

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm sorry if this question has been answered before but I really want to clarify it. I know about the filevault 'recover disk space' problem and the update. I installed 10.3 and activated filevault. I have since installed the 10.3.1 update that is supposed to fix the problem.

I rarely turn off my powerbook, it just sleeps all the time but I've just installed the Bluetooth update and because I've restarted it's asking me if I want it to recover the disk space.

Am I now safe to let it do this or should I keep telling it to skip it?

I really want to make sure I won't have any problems before I click it!

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    I upgraded to 10.3.1 and have had no problems with FileVault. Everytime I reboot/shutdown I reclaim disk space. Before 10.3.1 I had the FileVault problem (all my prefs were gone). Now everyting is great.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    File vault is useless unless you need to encrypt all your files. Otherwise, your taking up HD space, memory, and endangering all of your data. Don't use it unless you need to, it's more problems than it's worth.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    So you're saying FileVault is useful if you need the security and don't care about losing your files? :/ ... I don't think so...
  • Reply 4 of 25
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    FileVault is useful if keeping files secure is more important than the increased chance of losing those files.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Okay, so rather than saying it MIGHT happen, who has actually had a problem with FileVault after installing all the updates? I could care less about "might". "Will" is something to worry about. Driving home from work, you "might" get into a traffic accident. Doesn't keep you out of your car does it? Nope. So I'm not concerned with "might". Does FileVault still have confirmable problems? Yes or No? Please explain. I would like to use FileVault.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    It would be more useful as stated by others before, if it let you select what you want to encrypt.

I have a laptop, travel frequently and see a need for it. I do not see the need to encrypt my music files. I would be interested in encrypting only my job folder and the info I have in Daylite.

I can wait.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

It would be more useful as stated by others before, if it let you select what you want to encrypt.

I have a laptop, travel frequently and see a need for it. I do not see the need to encrypt my music files. I would be interested in encrypting only my job folder and the info I have in Daylite.

I can wait.

just a quick note: you can already do that, with a little know but nifty feature of Disk Copy (included in Jaguar, dunno about Panther). This features lets you create an encrypted disk image, which you can then use to store your sensitive files. It's a bit inconvenient in that you have to mount the image (and enter your password of course) before you can work in it, but I personally don't mind it for those few files that are really sensitive. It also uses the same super-strong encryption used by Panther for its more systematic but less flexible approach (AES-128 ).
  • Reply 8 of 25
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    So to use these files I would have to work from the disk image?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes.

Double-click the image, enter your password, it mounts, work with the files.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    whereas FileVault's strength is supposed to be that it does this 'seamlessly in background'

Another rev might be worth waiting for, and I'd echo barto's generic caution...

i've known a few folks who chronically forget their passwords.

For them, FileVault would be very bad. (though the "Master password" might alleviate this)
  • Reply 11 of 25
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I can wait.

Another solution is to move your music library outside your home folder via an alias or telling iTunes to move it for you. This way it won't be encrypted, and you can do that with other folders too.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

[BIt's a bit inconvenient in that you have to mount the image (and enter your password of course) before you can work in it, but I personally don't mind it for those few files that are really sensitive. It also uses the same super-strong encryption used by Panther for its more systematic but less flexible approach (AES-128 ). [/B]

Drop the disk image in your Login Items and add the password to Keychain, and the disk will be automatically mounted whenever you log in. This gives about the same level of security as Filevault but can be used to store only specific items of interest.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Just an update... to answer my own question, it seems it *isn't* safe to recover disk space, even though I've installed the update that Apple says fixes the problem.

Once I'd recovered the space my iTunes database file was trashed and it wouldn't start up. I'm lucky in that I only transferred my library across to my Albook a month or so ago so I copied my database file from my work mac (which reset my playlists and playcounts etc. to the state they were in then), and then re-imported the CD's I'd imported since. Then when I synched my Pod it updated all the playcounts etc to what they should be.... well it fixed it 95% anyway.

It made me really angry. I was lucky in that I didn't get Panther straight away (because it took Apple so long to ship it to me) so I was made aware of the problems other people were having. The software shouldn't have shipped in that state. But to install the update from Apple that "fixes" the problem and then start using Filevault only to discover it trashed my preferences anyway... well that seems a bit off to me.

Surely during the months and months of development at Apple someone turned Filevault on and then restarted their machine......?

Oh well - thought I'd let you guys know just in case the same happened to you. Might me worth making a copy of the iTunes database file somewhere in case? My mp3 files themselves weren't affected.

hope this helps someone

cheers
  • Reply 14 of 25
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I'm sorry the problems happened to you after Apple claimed File Vault was updated in 10.3.1. I felt it was too small of a change, and so I have not used File Vault again. I'm glad to see feedback on it. It's sad the feedback is negative. I'd like to use File Vault one day, also, once it is functional.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Texas Flood

Drop the disk image in your Login Items and add the password to Keychain, and the disk will be automatically mounted whenever you log in.

This approach works perfectly well, I used a setup exactly like it before 10.3.1. Now I've turned on FileVault, and so far have not had anything bad happen.

The reason I switched from iFilevault (as my disk image was called) to FV is that a) the constantly mounted disk image bothered me and more importantly b) Macromedia Studio MX 2004 would not recognize its sites file (~/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Common/2004/Sites/Sites prefs), where it stores all the sites' ftp passwords, when this file was located on the disk image and it or its parent folder was linked as an alias or unix link .\
  • Reply 16 of 25
    ok i dont understand this--while filevault encrypts files well, wouldnt it be easier for someone to just run some hacking program to get your admin passw? we all know that regular passwords are somehwat easy to crack, so what good is filevualt?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    ipodandimac, you're right. Traditionally, passwords are the weakest link. If you have a weak password then no amount of encryption will matter. It can simply be unencrypted with use of the password.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Read this thread, specifically Defiant's last post.

If someone hacks in as user A, even as an admin, they still wouldn't have access to user B's files unless they also had the Admin FileVault password.

Also, if your drive is stolen, all someone has to do is plug it into another machine to read the files if you're not using FileVault.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Kickaha, that's all well and good, but when do you think we'll be able to use FileVault without the threat of permissions failure? I travel a lot with my PB and if it were stolen valuable information could be obtained from my drive if it isn't protected. Right now I use Crypt2 for encrypting sensitive files, but coverage of my Home directory would be a extra security layer. Is FileVault safe to use?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    You know as much as I do on that front.

Some people have reposted losses of preferences (did you mean that instead of permissions?), but it seems like a straightforward bug. Apple says it's fixed, I haven't tried it out.