HELP! Is there such a thing?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have an eMac 700 with a ton of files, programs, etc on it. I'm getting a new eMac with a superdrive and I want to transfer all my files, programs, apps etc to the new machine. What is the fastest or best way to do it. Is there any kind of cable that I can get to link the 2 machines to transfer everything from the old one to the new one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greg1993

I have an eMac 700 with a ton of files, programs, etc on it. I'm getting a new eMac with a superdrive and I want to transfer all my files, programs, apps etc to the new machine. What is the fastest or best way to do it. Is there any kind of cable that I can get to link the 2 machines to transfer everything from the old one to the new one?

Just get a FireWire cable and connect your old eMac to your new one via FireWire disk mode (your manual will tell you how to do this...I forget the specific procedure). Your old eMac will then show up as a hard disk on your new machine and you can just copy anything you want on over with simple old drag and drop.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Just get a FireWire cable and connect your old eMac to your new one via FireWire disk mode (your manual will tell you how to do this...I forget the specific procedure). Your old eMac will then show up as a hard disk on your new machine and you can just copy anything you want on over with simple old drag and drop.

You boot with your new machine connected with a FW cable to your old, while holding down "T" until it's booted.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    It has to be a six pin to six pin Firewire cable to connect computers (the most common kind is six pin to four pin).