Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    123123 Posts: 278member
  • Reply 62 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

http://freshsqueeze.com/products/ftpeel/

auth-tls support (ftps)

If we're taking sftp support, Fugu is the way to go.

Who can deny the excellent fish icon?

-S
  • Reply 63 of 135
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ticks

i said it before and i'll say again, FlashFXP is the best ftp client available on any OS. i understand it isnt available for os x, however, that doesnt matter. somebody for the love of god, create something that functions in a way that flash does. i know you programmers can do this. if i could, i would. [but i cant] \

FlashFXP

Bingo! the best one ever created on this planet!

but someone on MacNN had confirmed that it is impossible to have the same one on MAC. cause it is writen with Delphe.

sorry about the terrible English.
  • Reply 64 of 135
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

If we're taking sftp support, Fugu is the way to go.

Who can deny the excellent fish icon?

-S

Yeah, if we were talking sftp, but we're talking ftps (or FTP SSL/TLS) which is secure ftp done the right way.
  • Reply 65 of 135
    mithmith Posts: 6member
    What about this?

wlFXP

Java open-source, Aqua skin and works fine on my Panther.

The only "problem" is that you need to compile it with ant, so you have to install it through fink.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    I am still 'oh so fond' of Fetch. It is works.
  • Reply 67 of 135
    absolute BEST = ftp in console. It exists on EVERY operating system in existance. If you learn how to use it you will never be without a client.
  • Reply 68 of 135
    mithmith Posts: 6member
    IMO, the console FTP client is good when it also implements commands such as lcd, lls, lpwd.

Sometimes you need to copy more files from different directories or can't remember the exact name (yes, you can use mput, but not all clients support it, so you're stuck).

- mith
  • Reply 69 of 135
    cyberduck is my absolute choice on Panther till now.
  • Reply 70 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by mith

IMO, the console FTP client is good when it also implements commands such as lcd, lls, lpwd.

Sometimes you need to copy more files from different directories or can't remember the exact name (yes, you can use mput, but not all clients support it, so you're stuck).

- mith

Note: If you cant remember the name of the file just press TAB and it will list all files in that dir. If you remember atleast the first letter you can find it by TABing. As for multiple files...I wouldn`t know about that. If your going to be uploading TONS of files such as if you are a webdeveloper then you definetly need a GUI client. If GUI is your need then FlashFXP all the way.
  • Reply 71 of 135
    There is also Yummy FTP.
  • Reply 72 of 135
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    no one mentioned ncftp yet ? it sure beats the one that comes with osx

as for gui ones, my vote goes to cyberduck
  • Reply 73 of 135
    Try Fern.

Fetch is good too though.
  • Reply 74 of 135
    imeime Posts: 40member
    Filezilla for Windows: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=21558.

Not sure if there are any ports for it to the Mac.
  • Reply 75 of 135
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I just had to download 16gb from an unreliable server, which would time out, terminate mid connection, and had invalid files and directories, my experiences are thus:

Filezilla -

My day to day FTP program on windows. Filezilla could not even queue all of the files on the server without errors. It was unable to cope with the invalid directories. There was no clear indication as to what was q'd and what wasnt. It wasnt possible to disable the q while I manually selected directories to skip around the broken ones.

Having given up on Filezilla I decided to try my Mac ( prompted by Gruber's high opinion of interarchy ).

Interarchy -

Couldnt really figure out the interface, but I managed to get it downloading. It regularly ran into time outs and needed manual intervention every time ( not nice ). I miss typed my initial password, and even though I check "add to keychain" it asked for my password every time I retried a failed file. When it retried I couldnt tell if it was starting again from the beginning of the q or not. I eventually gave up.

Transmit -

Q'd up the files, but its interface doesnt fit on my small monitor. Was very hard to see what was going on. I think it got stuck on a file while q'ing, but the UI for managing the q qas off of the screen.

FlashFXP -

Works perfectly. Q's up what you initially drag onto it ( it doesnt try to recurse through the whole dir structure to q it ). Then works through each one. Whenever it got timeouts and disconnects it marked the file as failed in the q and moved on. When it hit the invalid directories it did the same. I ended up with a list of about 40 failed transfers ( it retries files that timed out ), which I could manually reset and try again. Very nice. Went through the whole site without requiring intervention untill the end, which was good, it took 3 days.
  • Reply 76 of 135
    Anyone know... Fern?

guessnot.

acquisition?
  • Reply 77 of 135
    groovergroover Posts: 29member
    I use Transmit and I also have Interarchy but rarely use.

My Friend has a PC and his FTP app can transfer files between 2 FTP servers. That is connect to two of them and not having to use his HD as a go between. I could not find this feature on any Mac FTP clients.
  • Reply 78 of 135
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Groover

I use Transmit and I also have Interarchy but rarely use.

My Friend has a PC and his FTP app can transfer files between 2 FTP servers. That is connect to two of them and not having to use his HD as a go between. I could not find this feature on any Mac FTP clients.

Personally I've not heard of this feature on any FTP clients at all. I'm assuming it may be a feature that is specific to the one that your friend was using. Though I've never needed to use functionality like that before.
  • Reply 79 of 135
    Has anyone usef OneButton FTP?

http://www.onebutton.org/
  • Reply 80 of 135
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Groover

You can with Transmit (v. 3, don't know about earlier versions). Works like a charm.