Is this for real: Can a joystick give you cancer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just brought a USB saitek Evo joystick. The chord on the thing has a yellow warning label that says the following:

"Handling the chord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause [cancer, and] or birth defects or other reporductive harm.

Wash hands after handling"

Is this a friggin joke? (I'm serious here) Do all USB chords contain lead (I suppose for magnetic shielding) or is this something specific to Saitek sticks? Damn, I don't want a friggin stick to give me cancer or whatever else it's suppose to give you.

Kompressor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Is the cord insulated (wrapped in rubber/plastic)? If it is, just don't cut the cord Seriously though, lead content in things are so controlled now that you could eat the whole cord and not have a single problem. Don't worry about it.

Edit: Fixed some words because I'm retarded.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think the key words are "in the state of California"
  • Reply 3 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    California has really restrictive laws on lead levels.

Most manf. put those lables on everything since it's easier to do that than just ship specific lables for Cali.

However, the levels aren't dangerous by anyone else's standards, inluding the state of MN, which tends to be really careful with these kinds of things.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Only F#dim is dangerous.