xPod 149$ idea???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Offer a xPod

The MP3 player would be built to fit in a headphone.

The player would be "stick" size- and made to fit in the left side of a headphone

pic below:

Player would feature:

512MB (about 100 mp3 songs)

Shock protection = 30sec

Line out

Line In (Yes line in: able to record live)

Equalizer

USB 2.0

3 Line: Backlit display

about 1/4 the size of the current iPod *but same design

Can play MP3, AAC + Store date/files

The unit can be used with or with out the headphones

The headphones would cost 79$

So 149$ + 79$ for the set

EDIT: Sorry should have had some "????" in the subject line and said "idea"---- Sorry its late

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Not gonna happen.

This whole "flash based ipod" or "video ipod" will not happen. The under educated apple folk (idealists, not realists) need to realize that Apple won't dilute the iPod brand with half-assed solutions. A video iPod makes no sense at this point. Nobody cares about watching a 2 inch video stream (given the .0005% of the population that frequent Slashdot might).

The closest thing that will happen is a further implementation of what has been done with belkin. You may be able to sync your iPod with iPhoto, and have your pictures stored on your iPod for viewing on a television -not on the iPod screen- a la the headphone/video out the first gen iceBooks had.

iPod will remain hard drive based, and high res color screen for a long, long while. The issue with the iPod is about brand recognition. The public *knows* the white deck of cards look, anything else is just a knock off music player. Having something that resembles something made my Fujitsu, Sharp, HP, Rio, Sony, *insert foreign brand here* is exactly what apple *isn't*.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    As I see the videoPod:

SightPod should be a iSight/iPod Hybrid; a DV camcorder with all current iPod features + basic camcorder features.

Specs:

- iPod software update/iSight drivers to allow iSight to be connected to the FireWire port of the iPod.

- iSight mounting bracket for iPod

- Optional color display for iPod.

Price should be the same as iPod + iSight together (or a bit less)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    iPod is sucessful because Apple has concentrating on JUST being a great music player (as well as minor functions that go along with it and complement it but nothing big like a camera)

WHY WOULD THEY CHANGE THAT FORMULA!?!?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnn sux

iPod is sucessful because Apple has concentrating on JUST being a great music player (as well as minor functions that go along with it and complement it but nothing big like a camera)

WHY WOULD THEY CHANGE THAT FORMULA!?!?

A camera wouldn't neccessarily need to be big. Look at recent Nokia phones. The camera on those is very compact.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Juha Otus

A camera wouldn't neccessarily need to be big. Look at recent Nokia phones. The camera on those is very compact.

Most of the cameras on phones (I just checked the 6600, 6230, and 3650) are limited to VGA resolution (640x480), and from what I've seen, they're really not that good.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Here's a link to something similar:

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500569_specs.html
  • Reply 7 of 10
    If a camera was put into an iPod, say goodbye to using it at the gym, for those of you who do. Most camera phones are being banned from gyms/locker rooms because people's privacy is being violated by a few jerks who ruin it for everyone. I like the iPod the way it is, maybe a color screen for displaying album art or a visualizer or something else cool like that, even though that would shorten battery life (I think). Other than that, the iPod is perfect.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    yes, using a visualizer or having a camera on their would indeed decrease battery life. Maybe we'll see a fuel cell iPod
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Juha Otus

i think the phone camera idea is more logical than an ipod one

having said that, if phones have cams why do you need one for your ipod? if it happens...i wont be angry but i would make it chock full of audio usages first before adding any visual usages....

K.I.S.S.

keep it simple stupid
  • Reply 10 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    What is proposed here is less like an iPod and more like iPhones/iCans or something like that. As it stands, iPod has a nice primary music/multi-use role (that might expand) -- Apple should NOT change it.

However, there is nothing half assed about a solid state player. In many ways that is the holy grail of compressed music players. What holds them back is capacity and cost. They will always have a lot less capacity for similar cost. They also bring advantages: shock proofing, reliability, low power power consumption, smaller packaging.

To look on this solely from the perspective of a music player:

To make a 512MB-1GB solid state player costs about as much as a 20GB iPod (or maybe a tad more). The balance still tilts in favor of an HDD iPod. But what if you can make a 4-8GB solid state player? In 2.5-3 years we will be able to do that. In the smae time frame we might also make 120-160GB HDD based player, but will it be worth it, strictly for a music player? 4-8GB is a lot of compressed music. Probably NOT your whole collection, but enough to take you through a week on the road, comfortably. And since it has no moving parts and drains less power, it would be easy to make it even smaller and lighter, shock proof and envirmentally sealed. It would almost invariably be a better device for runners/bikers/extreme sports types, despite the deficit in capacity.

It'd just be a different beast to an HDD based iPod. With a 120-160GB and maybe more, such an iPod woudl make an interesting digital vault for more than just music, family photo albums, short films, a bootable disc with all your apps, etc etc... to say nothing of the possibility of holding ALL your music.

Different markets. Solid state isn't really ready yet, Apple saw that and wisely chose an HDD based design, but that doesn't mean that solid state players won't be ready to fill a useful role in the future.