Can you close minimised windows in the Dock?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there any way to close minimised windows that are in the Dock, in the Dock itself ( 10.2.8 )? How about in Panther?

No amount of button combinations seem to bring up a 'close window' option in a dialogue box.

Seems silly if you can't. Means you've got to maximise a window before you close it. Very silly.

Something I missed?

Thank You

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmm. i'm not in front of a mac now (and i tend to avoid minimizing windows when i am), but have you tried maybe dragging the offensive windows off the dock? like you would remove a program? that might work.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    In Panther, just right mouse and choose Close.

If you're using one button, control click and Close.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

In Panther, just right mouse and choose Close.

If you're using one button, control click and Close.

Er- I'm talking bout an open window in the Dock, not an App itself. If Control-Click works with windows too in Panther, then wha-hey! I'll just wait till I get 10.3.

Any more ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I'm talking about an open window as well, but I thought you meant a Finder window. If you mean an application window then, sorry, this doesn't work.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

I'm talking about an open window as well, but I thought you meant a Finder window. If you mean an application window then, sorry, this doesn't work.

OK. But as far as I can see, it doesn't work with finder windows either. All I get when I Ctrl-Click on any minimised window in the Dock is a shaded-out name of that File/App window.

There must be a keyboard shortcut to close windows while in the Dock!?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I'm using Panther, and you definitely get a "Close" option with minimized Finder windows.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i believe the old reasoning was if you wanted to close a document, you would want to see it full size before closing it. makes sense, unless you really don't care about its contents, like a finder window or a browser web page. they seem to have made the "close" feature more accessible under panther now.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i believe the old reasoning was if you wanted to close a document, you would want to see it full size before closing it. makes sense, unless you really don't care about its contents, like a finder window or a browser web page. they seem to have made the "close" feature more accessible under panther now.

Hm. I have no close option for a Safari window in 10.3.1.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    yeah, i just tried it with AIM, and safari, and a finder window, and it only worked with the finder window.

I'd never thought about closing straight from the dock.. Good idea.

i mean, at least it works for finder windows...