802.11b on PowerBook 5300ce?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone point me in the right direction? I've just got a wireless router/adsl modem connected to my G4iMac..I'd like to get my PB 5300ce connected wirelessly. It's running OS8.1. I've got two PC card slots free on it and the ususal legacy ports at the back. Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    This is more of a purchasing advice question. I think it'll be PCMCIA for you. The question being: which cards still support 8.1 (you may need to update to 8.6, seeing that's mostly the requirement for that type of stuff).

Usual suspects for this type of stuff: linksys, sonnet, netgear. All turn up nothing for you, unfortunately. (all require Windows).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Find an ORiNOCO Silver or Gold PCMCIA card on eBay (they still have them new online, too). I have an ORiNOCO Bronze Turbo (8 mps) card in my 5300c and it works perfectly, but no WEP. Silver and Gold support WEP.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GraphicUmp

Find an ORiNOCO Silver or Gold PCMCIA card on eBay (they still have them new online, too). I have an ORiNOCO Bronze Turbo (8 mps) card in my 5300c and it works perfectly, but no WEP. Silver and Gold support WEP.

Thanks GraphicUmp What OS are you using though?

I'm off to ebay to look for one.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    On the 5300c? 8.6.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I KNEW I had more information about this somewhere....here it is:

Wireless for older pb's
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

I KNEW I had more information about this somewhere....here it is:

Wireless for older pb's

Excellent ...that was just the sort of info was looking for. Looks like the ORiNOCO drivers work right back to OS7.6. ...time to blow the dust of my 5300ce and get it back into service. Any recommendations as to browsers? I've got the latest version of IE on it and it stinks..it's so slow.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    iCab or Opera work pretty well.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ORiNOCO Silver listed at dealmac for $13.95 +shipping
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

ORiNOCO Silver listed at dealmac for $13.95 +shipping

That's an amazing price... unfortunately for me they don't ship internationally (I'm in the UK). Prices on ebay.co.uk are about £30 (~$45)