One thing Apple needs to change

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I like to view photo files and if I have a folder of pics say 120 and I want to look at them full view I double click one file in the folder of pics and it will launch Preview but the problem is that there is no feature to advance to the next picture in the folder. If I am wrong about this please explain how to do this. So instead of being able to click a forward or next button I have to close the preview window and then double-click the next file to see it full-view. Then over and over again open and close windows instead of being able to just simply click a next or forward button to be able to advance the pictures one by one in a simple way.

Is there a way in OSX Panther to do what I am talking about here? I HATE Windows XP but this is not a problem with XP. I would think Apple would be on top of this.

Again if I am not aware of some way to do this I ask you to please let me know.

Thanks,

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    iPhoto might help
  • Reply 2 of 16
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Drag & Drop the folder containing the images onto Graphic Converter, it will open a browser with all the image files. I use it for all my photo browsing.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Indeed. You basically want them to add a slideshow feature to the Finder.

Well heck, why not a full text viewer? A text *editor*? Wouldn't it be slick if you could play games *in* a Finder window??

Er, no.

Keep the separation of concerns separate.

The Finder finds files... large icons and preview columns are to help you do just that, find files. Not view them full-size.

(Hint: select the folder you want to change (Pictures, for example) and in the View Options bump the icon size in icon view up to the max. Helps a lot.)
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I like to view photo files and if I have a folder of pics say 120 and I want to look at them full view I double click one file in the folder of pics and it will launch Preview but the problem is that there is no feature to advance to the next picture in the folder. If I am wrong about this please explain how to do this.

Select all. Double click. They'll open in a shared window with a drawer containing them all like this:

Then, use left/right or up/down to advance through them.

Or use iPhoto.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Select all. Double click. They'll open in a shared window with a drawer containing them all like this:

Then, use left/right or up/down to advance through them.

Or use iPhoto.

Brad Thank you so so much... I went to the apple store today and not one employee could tell me a thing. You have made it so nice for me. Thank you soooooo much!

I wish Preview not finder (Kickaha) would give an option for open one or open all as this info given by Brad to me has made possible. It makes all kinds of difference!

Brad Love you MAN!

Fellows
  • Reply 6 of 16
    we're fortunate to have people like brad around and everyone else who helps each other out when you have a problem. this is a good community, i've learned a lot from you people.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

we're fortunate to have people like brad around and everyone else who helps each other out when you have a problem. this is a good community, i've learned a lot from you people.

I could not agree more! AppleInsider is a great place with great people!

Fellowship
  • Reply 8 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ah, my bad, I thought you were asking for the Finder to do the slideshow feature, as the Explorer does in XP, since that was what you compared it to.

Yeah, what Brad said.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Ah, my bad, I thought you were asking for the Finder to do the slideshow feature, as the Explorer does in XP, since that was what you compared it to.

Yeah, what Brad said.

Just to be clear and have no confusion it is not Explorer in XP that has back and forward features it is rather "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" once you double click a thumb to view the file in a bigger than thumb view.

I just wish Preview was a bit more user-friendly to the average user as what Brad knew on this topic not everyone does including actual Apple emplyees.

I do appriciate the minimal feel Apple has but there are things like number of "items" in a folder clearly disclosed on open windows on mac which XP does not do. On XP you have to right click the closed folder and click properties to find the number of "items" in a folder. OSX it is just there at the bottom of the open window. I consider this good file management but also still minimal and tons better than XP. I just think for the average user unlike Brad it is hard to know how to do what I brought up in this thread in the first place. It should be very simple and easy.

That's all I am saying.

Fellowship
  • Reply 10 of 16
    You think I a good person?

wow.. thats nice to say.

shucks..

flick.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

You think I a good person?

wow.. thats nice to say.

shucks..

flick.

Naw, I think he was talking about Brad. The rest of us are just scum.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

You are all my favorites

Fellows
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

I like to view photo files and if I have a folder of pics say 120 and I want to look at them full view

There's a shareware program called GraphicConverter that does just that. All you do is tell it to do a slide show and point it to any folder(s) containing the images you want to view. Set it's preferences to move to the next picture when you click your mouse. It's perfect for what you want.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

• Reply 15 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Another option is Simple Image Browser. It's a small, simple application. All it really does is browse images in a list. It's much faster than Preview because that's basically all it does. It's quite a bit like how images are viewed in Windows XP. I just keep it in my dock and drag a folder of pictures in to browse it whenever I need to.

GraphicConverter works well too. But it's still not as fast as SIB.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I wish Preview not finder (Kickaha) would give an option for open one or open all

Fellows

It does give that option - when you choose "Open" in Preview, you can use Shift-click or Command-click to choose as many files as you want to open. If you want the whole folder, just drag down, or click the first and shift-click the last.