Lagging TiBook?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm currently using a 1 ghz tiBook with 512 RAM OS 10.2.8

and for many tasks it LAAAAAAGGGGS

I've repaired the disk permissions a couple times in the past month.

I think it might be due to excessive fragmentation of the HD, since he has been transferring many GBs of files from his old computer, But I don't know.

The most consistent lag time comes from the volume control, it seriously takes about 45 seconds at least to do anything!

I might be able to upgrade to panther soon, I'm hoping that will fix everything, but until then, anything I can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    I think you may need to do a clean install of panther when you purchase it. You may have some serious fragmentation on you HD. If you have the money get the 60GB 7200RPM Hitachi drive. More RAM also really helps speed things up.

I have the same TiBook with 1GB of RAM (10.2.8) and see no lag or major slowdowns. I do graphic/web design, motion graphics and video editing without any hitches. I still get the beachball from time to time, or see the occasional slowdown when doing strenuous stuff, but otherwise I am really happy with the performance.

Of course I would get the powerbook G5 in a flash...but so would anyone else
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Try creating another user account and see if it has the same problem. If not, your original user account just has some bad preferences.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I ran FSCK and it fixed the volume control problem, and seems to have helped with some other little issues too.

all in all, it is noticeably less laggy than it was, so all is well.

(at least for now

\