Bluetooth on ipod (no, not for syncing)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yes, I know I'm bringing this up again. But here's how I think it should work.

Picture Rendezvous sharing on iTunes. It lets people near you (on a network) listen to your songs.

Picture Bluetooth sharing on an iPod. People near you physically will be able to listen to (but not copy) your songs. Same limits as iTunes sharing - only people near you, and only streaming.

Done right, other people's libraries would just appear in your playlists. Maybe with a little icon to show that they're shared. There could be an option to do a little bleep when someone comes into range, so you know to check for playlists. (For a nice Apple touch, it could wait until your current track was over, then do the bleep in the gap between songs.)

Of course, such sharing would be optional, and you could customise which playlists to share, just like itunes.

Amorya

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Sorry, I meant to post this in digital hub. Having just read that ipod jacking thread, I assumed I was there. D'oh!

Some kind wonderful modly being or other, please move this thread to its rightful home!

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Does bluetooth have enough bandwidth to stream music at say, 320kbps?

Also, wouldn't it suck the shit out of your battery faster than you can say "bad analogy?"

Better than wirelessly sharing libraries would be bluetooth earbuds. If only tech could get that small for cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    bluetooth is a low-powered device and should not suck up that much juice. (The iTrip is a FM transmitter and has practically no effect on battery life.) I think the fastest bluetooth is at 1Mbps and the avrage range is 5 meters. Just guessing but it sounds about right. Still if bluetooth was 320Kbps it should be able to stream 160K AAC files and higher. I don't think the iPod could downsample the audio from an AIFF in real time and play/stream though.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    why dont they just do it on iPhoto?

see, the good thing about the name iPod, is that it does not limit itself to music...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

The Bluetooth wireless communications scheme has a theoretical maximum data transfer of 723 kbps. But, users will inevitably push products up to and beyond their limits for range and noise immunity, which means that performance will suffer if you don't make the right design decisions. (...) At a bit error rate (BER) of 0.04%, for example, DH5 packets have only a 33% chance of being received without error. In other words, it will take an average of three attempts to send a packet ? reducing potential maximum bandwidth from 723 kbits/sec to just 241 kbits/sec. On the other hand, DM5 packets show virtually no degradation from their maximum bandwidth of 477 kbits/sec until 10 times that BER.

emphasis mine

from http://www.csr.com/enews/sw007.html
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Wow! Thanks. I've never seen all the info in one place before. Just a little from manuals, Macworld, snippets from the web...