iPod Propaganda

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has this already made the rounds?

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

~felipe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    i hope applecare for ipod comes out soon!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    amazing in many ways
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i hope applecare for ipod comes out soon!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=M9404LL/A
  • Reply 4 of 15
    aaplaapl Posts: 124member
    Can this be considered a design flaw/defect? I wonder what legal recourse would be available?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    these guys get a bad battery (clearly representing a very small percentage of otherwise giddily happy iPod users with no complaints and perfectly fine batteries now older than 2yrs) and decide to pillory Apple

seem like the amount of time and energy spent defacing advertising and producing this crappy iMovie exceed the cost of either a replacement battery or Applecare.

so, one might presume that they aren't as interested in the solution as they are in waving arms to exaggerate the prevalence of this problem amongst iPod users (none of the iPod users I know has had any complaints). seems like they are more interested in publicity and pointing their pet problem to be larger than it actually is.

wah wah.

bunch of crybabies.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I have to admit - I love it. What a great way to get back at a company you think has done you wrong. Of course I love Apple products, but my heart is with that guy.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Mine would be if he had a rational, even *factual* basis to stand on, but it sounds like he got a less than average battery (it happens), that went south after the warrantee (also happens), then decided that going off half-cocked was better than researching possible alternatives, like the $99 replacement at Apple or the 3rd party kits that are cheaper.

Sorry, but the guy's a dinkus looking for attention. :P
  • Reply 8 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

these guys get a bad battery (clearly representing a very small percentage of otherwise giddily happy iPod users with no complaints and perfectly fine batteries now older than 2yrs) and decide to pillory Apple

seem like the amount of time and energy spent defacing advertising and producing this crappy iMovie exceed the cost of either a replacement battery or Applecare.

so, one might presume that they aren't as interested in the solution as they are in waving arms to exaggerate the prevalence of this problem amongst iPod users (none of the iPod users I know has had any complaints). seems like they are more interested in publicity and pointing their pet problem to be larger than it actually is.

wah wah.

bunch of crybabies.

it's not a very small percentage

it's a very real problem. the battery is rated for 1000 charges
  • Reply 9 of 15
    You can tell the first problem right off when he tell the support guy, "My battery is dead." What does that mean? It won't hold a charge at all, the battery life is sub-standard--or does it mean that smoke pours out of it whenever it is plugged in. Each of these problems might have a different underlying cause. If he reported what was happening, the tech support guy could do some tests and find out the problem.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

it's not a very small percentage

Facts? References? Seriously. Not just anecdotal evidence that ignores the numbers of silent and happy iPod users.

Quote:

it's a very real problem. the battery is rated for 1000 charges

Not too shabby. That's what, 8000 hrs of play time? So even if you played it 8 hrs every day, that's ~ 3 *years* of workable battery.

The guy got a substandard battery.

It lasted past the warrantee, but not as long as he wanted.

He did not research possibilities past calling Apple and (apparently) getting a less than knowledgeable customer service rep. (Anyone here want to bet that 'call' was faked? Do *you* record your calls to Apple?)

He then goes on a ranting spraypainting spree.

Hmmm. Sounds to me like someone just wanted an excuse to spraypaint some walls and make it look like consumer activism.

Wah, wah, frickin' wah.

I mean let's face it: 1000 charges is not the '18 months' the guy claims, nor is the battery 'unreplaceable'. It is absolutely replaceable, and the average lifespan is likely to be much more than he claims. His 'facts' are false, his justification for illegal (and infantile) behaviour is flaky, and frankly, he comes across as a child, not an activist.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Goddamn, I'm moving to New York. You can get away with anything in broad day light.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Has nobody considered that it may be a fake? It's all too well done. Why did he record the call he made? Why did the tech support guy not ask for more details? As has already been pointed out, there are many reasons and levels at which the battery can be 'dead'. There was no conclusion to the call either. It could easily be a recording of the apple care line and then a recording of him and a mate.

However, whatever the issue, it is a little bit of a design flaw which Apple has addressed with AppleCare and a battery replacment program. For the US only.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I love it!

BTW, why shouldn't the guy get away with it? It looks like he's posting over bills that have been posted en masse by those promo companies that get posters for films/clubs/albums out -- themselves operating on the edge of legality.

I hope this forces a similar redesign as what happened with cell phones way back when -- I believe it is a matter of consumer law in many places that a cell phone cannot be sold without a replaceable battery. This is most definitely a MAJOR design flaw of the iPod. A battery is easily the weakest link in any piece of consumer electronics and should be easily replacable. Now, it doesn't have to be "standard" -- most cell phone batteries are not -- so the question arise as to whether the iPod's battery is easily replaced. Is it just a matter of popping off the back panel and disconnecting the battery, plugging in the new, and snapping the battery back on? Or does it require something more? Unscrewing some clips, or removing the mobo/HDD from the iPod?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I love it.

I also love the counter at the bottom of the page - ready to count 10 billion minus 1 visitors.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Hey look... To contact the Neistat Brothers with compliments or hate [email protected]