Apple Is Doomed Along With Sun And Novell According To Mr. Bozo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

I also asked which companies would be dead. The panel agreed that it would be Apple, Sun and Novell. The panel also agreed that if it didn't run on the x86 architecture, it was likely gone. What was really interesting was that almost everyone I spoke with after this panel said that this x86 prediction was like predicting that the sun would rise in the morning -- in other words, that it was a given. Most participants felt that the future world of technology would be solidly based on standards and that anyone not using standards would be gone.

The complete article is here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Panels, Analysts, prognosticators etc. Their opinons are worth what is paid for them. If some Humans could predict the future they wouldn't have to work.

Einstein said

"Great spirits have always encountered

violent opposition from mediocre minds"

I for one and tired of hearing/reading the ramblings of mediocre minds.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Utter joke. How do "journalists" like these get their jobs!? A choice quote: "My favorite PC overall was one built by Acer and cobranded with Ferrari. It was a very clean design -- in red of course -- and I could picture myself walking into a meeting and, for once, wipe the superior look from the faces of the folks using Apple laptops. "

Yea...Acer quality. It's going to take more than red plastic to make a 12" or 17" Apple PowerBook owner stop having a superior look!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Yup. Wipe that superior look off and replace it with a huge smirk that says: 'That thing is fugly and I can think of no one else that deserves it more than you.'

• Reply 4 of 38
    Since X86 seems to be the only way to go, isn't it odd that all 3 game consoles will be using the Power P.C.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    If I had a dime for everytime I heard of someone proclaiming Apples doom, I'd about have enough to buy an iPod.

8)
  • Reply 6 of 38
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What a dipshit.

Yes, that gaudy red thing (way to latch on to that hip "colored computer" craze...) is certainly going to give me or any other iBook or PowerBook owner pause.

As if.

If anything, it might make me smirk more.

(j/k...I'm not a smirker...my superiority is well-masked with clothes from Target and a $8 haircut...I just LOOK harmless enough)

• Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Since X86 seems to be the only way to go, isn't it odd that all 3 game consoles will be using the Power P.C.

Nice.

Well we know the xbox is going to use it and since the GameCube used it maybe Nintendo's next one will too but they haven't officially announced anything yet. Is the cell processor in the PS3 officially a "power pc" chip? \
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Game Consoles have only used x86 once. That was the XBox. Most consoles ran custom chips. The Dreamcast had an SH4 for instance. Seeing game consoles as not using x86 is very common, and it has been the standerd from some time.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Game Consoles have only used x86 once. That was the XBox. Most consoles ran custom chips. The Dreamcast had an SH4 for instance. Seeing game consoles as not using x86 is very common, and it has been the standerd from some time.

Are you still trolling around here? Why didn't you answer my question in the last thread you semi-started?

Common or not, it eludes to a flaw with the x86 chip family.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    I'm not trolling. Besides that doesn't elude to a flaw. If you know anything at all about Game Consoles you understand that they are very refined to doing gaming and thats about it. Thats why they use custom chips becuase they are specially designed for what they do. It shows no flaw. Most Gaming systems use RISC since they don't need the architecture of x86 for anything. Custom chips are far far used more then x86. Do you think that the PPC will be the same as a G5 in the Xbox? No. The XBox will most likely be full 64bit, with no 32 bit extensions. Just because they are going to use a PPC it doesn't show that Intel or AMD are wrong, they just want IBM to build a chip to what they need, and not build around a chip that they can't change.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Besides that doesn't elude to a flaw.

But it does. If a G5 is comparable in a home computer and better in a console, then there's a problem with the x86 chips. They're not as versatile.

Not trolling? Then how about that example I linked to in the previous thread?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    You are comparing 2 completely different PC architectures. G5 is RISC, x86 is a CISC platform. CISC and RISC aren't as far apart as they used to be. There was a huge difference in the old days between the 2, nowadays RISC and CISC are hard to tell apart technical standpoint wise.

The big difference between the choice of IBM or Intel/AMD is will Intel or AMD build you a chip to your specs? Will they add what you want and remove what you don't. AMD and Intel gave bids on what they could sell chips to MS for, IBM can custom build the chip. Game consoles want to have custom chips, so that t hey can tailor it to what they want.

It has nothing to do with the architecture. Its more of the standpoint of how much will you work with me. You trying to make a flaw in something that there isn't. x86 is highly more powerful in the fact that it's very useable in so many applications, RISC is more specialized in most applications.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    I thought x86 was dead.

Wait. It is: Intel said so. According to them, IA-64 is the future. If I'm not mistaken, the Itanium isn't an x86 chip (and I could well be wrong).
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Intel isn't god. IA-64 isn't the future. Whatever happens will be seen based on marketshare between AMD, Intel, and VIA in the next 5 years.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

You are comparing 2 completely different PC architectures. G5 is RISC, x86 is a CISC platform. CISC and RISC aren't as far apart as they used to be. There was a huge difference in the old days between the 2, nowadays RISC and CISC are hard to tell apart technical standpoint wise.

That's largely because the two categories are irrelevant. Chip designers these days use whatever works. If there's any distinction at all, it's whether the ISA keeps load/store instructions separate.

Quote:

The big difference between the choice of IBM or Intel/AMD is will Intel or AMD build you a chip to your specs? Will they add what you want and remove what you don't. AMD and Intel gave bids on what they could sell chips to MS for, IBM can custom build the chip. Game consoles want to have custom chips, so that t hey can tailor it to what they want.

It has nothing to do with the architecture. Its more of the standpoint of how much will you work with me. You trying to make a flaw in something that there isn't. x86 is highly more powerful in the fact that it's very useable in so many applications, RISC is more specialized in most applications.

Your first paragraph is accurate. Your second needs help. First of all, there is no comparison between 'x86' and 'RISC'. Second, many of the so-called RISC platforms, like the 970, deviate wildly from pure RISC. Third, the idea that x86 is somehow usable in more applications than any "RISC" CPU defies comprehension. You're comparing an ISA to a processor design philosophy. If you want to compare ISAs, look at x86 and PowerPC: The PowerPC can do everything x86 can do, and it can also scale up to the POWER4 (which implements the PowerPC spec) and down to tiny embedded processors in PDAs and automobiles. PowerPC also has the advantage of being alive, well, and 64 bit since its introduction in 1994 (most Mac CPUs and embedded CPUs to date implement the 32 bit subset, but the ISA has always been 64 bit). x86 is being deprecated, has no clear path to 64 bit, and its author is trying to replace it with an architecture that's been an utter failure in the marketplace sofar (IA64).

Both the PowerPC and the x86 architectures have outlived their original design philosophies: The Pentium 4 is not a CISC chip in the original sense, nor is the IBM 970 a RISC chip in the original sense (there are RISC chips in the PowerPC family, though: The G3 is almost 100% pure RISC).

You also assume that IBM's ability to customize chips is only useful for embedded applications. It's also highly useful to Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    How do you pronunce x86 ?

Do you just say 86 or what
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Its said like this "X Eighty Six"
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Comdex is just a linux dog show... though... worth noting is as I recall awhile back when apple came out with airport and everybody there that it wasn't a feasible technology.

And also worth noting is look at the products that come from it, I can't recall one at all that hit it big time that everyone at comdex thought was going to be the next toaster be all for computing.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

x86 is being deprecated, has no clear path to 64 bit, and its author is trying to replace it with an architecture that's been an utter failure in the marketplace sofar (IA64).

In short, then, these "analysts" are completely and utterly wrong. So I take it the sun won't rise tomorrow? Good, maybe I can quit working on this damn presentation....
  • Reply 20 of 38
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, you'll just have to give it in the dark.