Video Capture

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I want to play my gamecube on my iBook ( complex scenario - PAL gamecube, NTSC tv ).

Does anyone have any experience playing consoles through a USB or firewire digitiser?

Im worried about investing in a product that will end up having too high a latency ( some digitisers have a latency measured in seconds ), or too low quality.

My iBook is a couple of years old, so no USB2 here

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    the latency on any such product is going to make most games unusable.

there are such things as PAL to NTSC scan converters, but i don't know how well they work, and any particular ones to recommend.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Hawaii is PAL? hmm....\
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Unfortunately not, life would be so much easier if it was.

There are a wide range of scan converters, the cheap ones are just colour space converters ( as many new tvs can handle the different frame rate - not mine ), full converters are quite expensive.

Ive tried using my DV cam, but it has a latency of a couple of seconds, so its no good.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    well, now you've confused me......... if Hawaii isn't PAL, why do you own a PAL Gamecube?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I decided not to start a new topic about this subject but I was wondering the same thing. Except - is there something that will allow me to use a PowerMac G4 as a TV? I'm guessing there would be more options for me since I'll have a PCI slot. How much would a TV card cost for a PowerMac? Would I be better off just buying a cheap little TV? It would be nice to turn my monitor into a TV so I don't have to buy an entire little TV just for that one purpose.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I haven't tried one of these yet, but the Televio looks really good.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Holy crap $150? I may as well just buy a TV if it's that expensive. A friend of mine got a TV tuner card for $40. Is there anything a bit cheaper?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I have a Televio card in my dual 867 G4.

Works great!

Except one thing if anyone could help me...

On one certain old VHS tape I'm trying to record it to my drive but I get a very annoying POPPING noise that is NOT present in the original tape.

thanks in advance
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I cant garuntee it, but when I was browsing the open darwin source it had drivers for bt848 based tv cards ( ie: all the cheap pci tuner cards ). At the time all the drivers Apple provided, so I assume that the driver is in the commercial release as well.

You should be able to go get any cheap tuner card that uses a bt 848 or derivative ( now owned by conexant ).

They are great cards, that allow for full frame, full rate capture. You'll need a seperate audio in however.

As usual, I cant believe that people would ever buy a PCI tuner card costing more that 50$, unless it had great software ( a good PVR implementation ), or onboard compression, multi channel or something else thats funky.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    As for my PAL gamecube, I moved here from Australia. So not only do I have a PAL gamecube, I have a big pile of PAL games. Otherwise I would just buy an NTSC gamecube.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

I cant garuntee it, but when I was browsing the open darwin source it had drivers for bt848 based tv cards ( ie: all the cheap pci tuner cards ). At the time all the drivers Apple provided, so I assume that the driver is in the commercial release as well.

You should be able to go get any cheap tuner card that uses a bt 848 or derivative ( now owned by conexant ).

They are great cards, that allow for full frame, full rate capture. You'll need a seperate audio in however.

As usual, I cant believe that people would ever buy a PCI tuner card costing more that 50$, unless it had great software ( a good PVR implementation ), or onboard compression, multi channel or something else thats funky.

Thanks for the info. That's probably what my friend has in his PC. I'll see if I can borrow it from him once I get my PowerMac.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Holy crap $150? I may as well just buy a TV if it's that expensive.

That's what I did.... I just bought a cheap little TV. I'm glad I did because I can use it as a realtime preview monitor with After Effects and Final Cut through my miniDV camera.