Help!!!!! .DS_Store has taken over my computer!!!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All of a sudden, after a weekend of tooling around with my Mac, I have got ".DS_Store" documents appearing all overmy comp... in files and everywhere. Firstly, what does it mean? And also how do I get rid of it? Please help as it is really starting to annoy me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    .DS_Store is an invisible file that the Finder stores in every directory. It saves things like window position, icon placement, view type, and other such information. Delete these and all of your view settings will revert to default.

Normally, you should never see these files. I'm guessing you used something like TinkerTool to enable showing of invisible files, yes? Well, this is just something you're going to have to deal with, then.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

.DS_Store is an invisible file that the Finder stores in every directory. It saves things like window position, icon placement, view type, and other such information. Delete these and all of your view settings will revert to default.

Normally, you should never see these files. I'm guessing you used something like TinkerTool to enable showing of invisible files, yes? Well, this is just something you're going to have to deal with, then.

• Reply 3 of 3
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Thank you for reminding me. It was my own stoooopid fault. I went back to Tinker Tools and unchecked the "show secret files" and now the prob is solved. Thank you.