An idea for new displays.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
(My apologies if this has already been suggested)

One question I have about displays: What do you think the price point would be for a display that is basically nothing more than the current iMac with all the guts removed?

I think this is a direction Apple should go with future displays, a major reason being the floating screen is an idea that must be further capitalized on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    you mean having just a iMac case and screen, but no guts in the machine. hmm. I kinda like that. The base would have to be made mabye alittle smaller, but thad actually be cool to have screens like that. If apple did come out with something like that. I'd probably by two.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Been there, done that. I'm typing this while looking at my 15" LCD Studio Display (circa 2000) with the base mount that adjusts up and down. I wouldn't trade this sucker for one of the new displays without a fight.

It would be great if Apple returned to this form/functionality, but they've been there before...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    There are two directions that I can see Apple going: either new displays are literally transplanted iMac displays minus the huge base (and maybe the colour scheme too), or else they'll try to make the displays resemble the G5 towers to a degree.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    interesting idea, but i'm pretty sure that the iMac displays ARE just the cinema displays, stuck on a pole. i think any new display models will definitley be based on the G5, brushed aluminum look.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

interesting idea, but i'm pretty sure that the iMac displays ARE just the cinema displays, stuck on a pole. i think any new display models will definitley be based on the G5, brushed aluminum look.

Apple's consumer line including iPod is not brushed Metal.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    The iMacs are just cinema displays on a pole. If you wanted to produce a "floating display" it would be somewhat difficult. Consider the amount that a typical 20" LCD weighs (I don't know, I don't own an LCD). Now consider the amount that the guts of an iMac weigh. The guts weigh more than the LCD. That would have to hold true for the "floating display" as well, otherwise you would have to make the base huge, therefore defeating the purpose of even having an LCD. It's impractical and won't work.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Apple added additional weight to the 20" iMac's base just to support the display. Without the iMac guts, that shell would end up being a 20 lb paper weight -- kinda useless if you ask me. If they made a base unit, they'd at least make it useful.

Basically, adding iMac-like flexibility to the current line of displays will just increase cost... and they already cost a pretty penny. Then again, the single cable ADC business could go out the window since now the displays would have a formal footprint. Perhaps you'd just patch ADC, firewire, etc from the base to your mac and likewise the base would provide a hub of connectivity: firewire, USB 2, and perhaps more!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    y'all seen the eyegonomics right? http://www.eyegonomic.com/page.dsp?page=188
  • Reply 9 of 23
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sinclairZX81

holy smokes those are nice... no prices tho. you go to the 'where to buy' for USA and it tells you to go to the macprofessionals site and they don't even list them (that site is extremely lame - all framed up with crummy UI and bad links - ugh).
  • Reply 10 of 23
    It could work...

Check out this one

I really do like that display...although i'd prefer if the arm were to appear more solid.Im gussing that by their product line, it at this point cant really get it heavier tha a 17"lcd without making it looking like crap
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Make the foot small add a few screw holes so that you can mount it on a wall, a desk your st. bernard etc... Anchoring taken care of. From the foot is the adj swing arm and then the screen.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Make the foot small add a few screw holes so that you can mount it on a wall, a desk your st. bernard etc... Anchoring taken care of. From the foot is the adj swing arm and then the screen.

doesn't seem very apple like...

screws aren't minmimalistic...steve is a minimalist, simple is better

i really doubt apple will make a display that has to be screwed into a desk, or wall, etc

maybe 3rd parties will do this (such as the 17" display mentioned earlier in the thread)
  • Reply 13 of 23
    what's more minimalist, a 2 ft footprint to keep a freestanding swingarm monitor in place or a 6 in foot with 4 anchor screws?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

what's more minimalist, a 2 ft footprint to keep a freestanding swingarm monitor in place or a 6 in foot with 4 anchor screws?

neither will work.

apple will find another way.

i also don't think most people want to be drilling holes in their desks. I guess screws that are optional for mouting on a wall etc could happen, but there is no way apple will ship displays that are required to be screwed into the desk.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by sinclairZX81

Apple has been ahead of the pack for years. Now I believe the "pack" is starting to catch up. I understand the economics of continual redesign and advancement of style, but even Gateway makes me take a second look. Apple needs an infusion of newness within its design group. The G5's are great, but its based on the same old form factor. I feel Apple should bring in design professionals, or even design students who know nothing about computers to see maybe what comes of it. I haven't been blown away with any of the Apple hardware since the Cube. I hope to see some nice thin frames and great options with the stands and mounts with the new monitors. I kinda doubt we will.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    No offense, but your post could not be more misguided.

Apple design is continually mimicked in every sort of product imaginable. I've a clock on my desk designed to look exactly like the iMac. For the last few years you see designs in translucent colored plastic. Many try to copy the iPod design as best they can. Brushed metal is turning up everywhere now.

To this day when people see my 15" TiBook they say "wow, look how cool that is".

Ive just one a prestigious design award recently.

Look at Apple products and then look at anything else any other company has to offer. Apple is way ahead of the rest in design functionality and aesthetics.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Rageous,

I agree with what you are saying. The Apple influence is everywhere, to the point I easily become bored and ready for something new and better. I enjoy Apple leaving everyone else behind for a period in time to pick up their scraps. Hell, I still see PC cases made of aqua colored plastic at Fry's. I guess what I'm looking for is to be blown away, like when I see an Eames chair or a George Nelson piece...or the cube. If Apple is going to continue to advance design for computer hardware, I say go nuts.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

Apple's consumer line including iPod is not brushed Metal.

apple's consumer line including the iPod comes with a build in display. the cinema display line 17" wide 20" wide 23" wide and probably 30" wide will be look like apples pro line... (alu)
  • Reply 19 of 23
    What I think would make an awsome display addition would be a small (4" wide x 8 or so inches tall) LCD Pannel. It would mount on your Laptop, off to one side and plug in the external monitor port on the back. (I guess it would need some power source -- but hey! Tha's not my job figuring out all of the details). It would be a nice addition to place all of those palets on.

If they made 'em, I'd buy one.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    You don't need a HEAVY or a MAMMOTH base to provide stability to a big heavy LCD. There other option is to use a counterweight.

What is important in object stability is the maintenance of the object's center of gravity within the confines of its footprint. An easy way of acheiving this could be accomplished with a screen attached to an arm that articulates atop a fulcrum, a counterbalancing weight attached on the opposite end of this pole? In this solution, there is no need for an overly large footprint, or a heavily weighted base. Instead, you could create a balanced display with a minimum of weight by using a simple lever, increasing counterbalancing force by shifting the counterweight further away from the fulcrum.

Sorry for the lousy appleworks mock-up...but something like this: