HELP! My powermac is FREEZING UP...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've had my Sonnet ST Encore 1GHZ chip for over a week now. I've been dealing with random freezing. My setup:

Powermac AGP graphics 2x

1ghz sonnet cpu

ati mac edition 7200 64MB DDR AGP 2x video

896mb memory

120gb wd se 7200rpm

sonnet tempo 100 ultra pci card

airport card

logitech elite duo cordless mouse/keyboard

os 10.3.1 (panther - retail)

compusa cathode light (green)

now I've been tweaking the heatsink to make sure there's enough surface covered and flat. the cpu came with some white stuff (to transfer heat from cpu to heatsink) but I'm sure it's not top quality like Artic Silver. I'm thinking about getting a tube of the stuff and just using it. I can use the powermac for a little while and then it crashes/freezes up. It's been happening more often. Could the cpu be faulty? I have 14 days till I can return the cpu. Any suggestions/comments? please I'm really stuck. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Is it Kernal panicking or just hanging? What are you doing when it freezes? Have you checked your crash log? It may be that your new chip is too hot for your setup and may require additional cooling. Check Version Tracker for internal temperature monitor programs. Your question is very open ended, it could be any number of things.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Is it Kernal panicking or just hanging? What are you doing when it freezes? Have you checked your crash log? It may be that your new chip is too hot for your setup and may require additional cooling. Check Version Tracker for internal temperature monitor programs. Your question is very open ended, it could be any number of things.

DMBand0026,

I ended up removing the heat-sink and under where the plate touches the processor cache, there was some dark color thermal pad ? I ended up scratching it off, bought a tube of artic silver and replaced the heat-sink. the computer is ROCK SOLID!!! stable as hell... Yeah!

thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Good to hear, sounds like it was a heat problem. My next suggestion would have been additional cooling. Glad you got it working again.