Want to go OSX only.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I currently have Panther and OS9 installed.

I would like to go OSX only because I do not use OS9 anymore and I'm running out of disk space on my internal drive.

Can I do this without formatting my harddrive?

If not, what should I backup so that my OSX system works as it does now?

I have a Lacie 120 Gb, so backing up is not a problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Just delete the OS9 System Folder(not System, that's OSX). You can also delete the Applications(Mac OS 9) folder.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    That's easy, thanks a lot.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    If you have a 120GB external, what's the problem? It's easy to get rid of 9, and a good thing to do because it's pretty much worthless now. However, if you have 120gb of extra space...I don't see why space on your internal is such a big deal.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    FWIW, you can put your OS 9 files on a sparse disk image then point to that System Folder in the Classic system preferences. Classic will automatically re-mout the image when it starts up.

Backup the disk image. If you ever find yourself needing to run a Classic app, just restore that single file.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    DMBand0026,

I use the 120 Gb as storage + keep it synced with my internal drive.

It's all getting a bit full.

I do music and DJ with my computer so my whole collection is on it, that takes a lot of space.

Every session i compose takes about 400Mb, takes a lot of space too.

Guess I gotta get me one of those 500 Gb drives.

Greetings
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

FWIW, you can put your OS 9 files on a sparse disk image then point to that System Folder in the Classic system preferences. Classic will automatically re-mout the image when it starts up.

Backup the disk image. If you ever find yourself needing to run a Classic app, just restore that single file.

how do you make a "sparse" image?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

how do you make a "sparse" image?

Open Panther's Disk Utilities and create a new blank image. On the Save As sheet hit the Format popup and select 'sparse disk image.'

Here's a link that describes a command-line alternative for Jaguar users: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...0212055706937.

Images using this format only consume physical disk space as items are stored on the virtual disk. If you create a 4.7 GB sparse image the resulting file is only about 30MB in size! 8)

dglow