Safari tab bar bug

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This bug is present in Safari v100.1

Step 1: Enable tabs.

Step 2: Enable "Always show tab bar."

Step 3. Disable tabs. (The "Always show tab bar" option should be greyed out, but still ticked.)

Step 4: Resize your window to your favourite size.

Step 5: Quit Safari, then relaunch.

Notice the tab bar appearing for a split second, then going away? That's not the most annoying part; the window just shrank in height by the number of pixels the tab bar used to occupy. To make this effect more obvious, keep quitting and relaunching. The window will keep shrinking, and shrinking..

I'll be submitting this one to Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I needed to relaunch between steps 2&3 to make it work. Er, not work. I mean to show the bug
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I've had this happen for a while now, no big deal. I just resize the window. I never really considered it a bug. Good work on the submit though. Apple wont fix problems it doesn't know exists.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have to tell Safari to always show the tab bar because of how I browse. I keep my window taking up the full height of my screen, with a bit of room to the right side for accessing the desktop. Here's the problem:

1. Resize your Safari window so it takes up the full height of the screen (minus the dock, if it's on the bottom).

2. Turn on tabbed browsing and have at least two tabs (so it shows the tab bar).

3. Go into the preferences and make sure it's set to NOT always show the tab bar.

4. Close one of the tabs.

See the problem? When you close the tab, the tab bar is removed, and instead of just removing it and showing what's hidden behind it, it changes the size of the window so there will now be a gap at the bottom of the screen. My workaround is to just set it to always show the tab bar - I usually have more than one tab open anyway. Still, it's kind of annoying. It would be nice if this were changed. And yes, I will submit feedback to Apple; in fact I have another tab open now to their feedback site and I'm pasting this message into their feedback form.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I don't use tabs.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I post to see what I've just typed appear magically on the web.